Chapter 3

"Everyone I've ever loved is here within these walls

I'm sorry, secret siren, but I'm blocking out your calls.

I've had my adventure, I don't need something new

I'm afraid of what I'm risking if I follow you

Into the unknown..."

When Alex's phone buzzed, her initial reaction was annoyance. It wasn't until the buzzing continued far beyond what had become her new normal that she picked it up, realized it was her alarm, realized why she had an alarm set, her whole mood changed, and she finally smiled. Her VR lenses for Obsidian Tech were set out and ready for this, and she'd worked an early shift so she'd be home in time. She had a date, and she had no intention of being late.

With her lenses in, Alex left her apartment behind and stepped into a virtual world. Her flannel shirt and jeans were left behind for a pinstriped suit. She adjusted her tie and brushed through her hair with her fingers, smiling down at the bouquet of flowers in her hand. The restaurant was one of Kelly's favorites in Metropolis, The River Café. Live piano music greeted Alex's ears even before the maître d' approached.

"Miss Danvers? Your party is this way."

Alex smiled, never tiring of the realism of the virtual experience. Her smile only grew when she saw Kelly waiting for her at the table overlooking the river. Kelly wore a red dress, simple but elegant, and when their gazes met, Kelly's eyes lit up. It caused a tightness in Alex's chest, and her step stuttered. When would she stop feeling like this when she saw her? Never, Alex hoped.

Kelly rose, exchanging a cheek kiss with Alex as they hugged.

"For you," Alex said as she handed over the flowers.

"You got me flowers?" Kelly pulled them close and smiled as she inhaled the (virtual) scent. "You didn't have to."

"Uh... I think I did. You wrote them into the program."

Kelly smiled back at Alex's grin but didn't respond to that. "Take a look at the menu. We've done quite a bit of work on the food programming. Everything should be delicious... I hope."

"Well, there's only one way to find out," Alex grinned as she took a seat and picked up one of the menus. "Let's see what we've got. Any recommendations?"

"The scallop appetizer is amazing here. I know you think the west coast does seafood right, but trust me, we know our seafood on the east coast too. The steak is to die for and huge. I couldn't eat it all. I think your sister would be impressed," Kelly waited until Alex looked up and held meaningful eye contact at that, "and that girl can eat. They make this little dessert called the Metro-Narrows Bridge. It's a thin chocolate cake with a layer of chocolate mousse then they make actual bridge framing out of chocolate to make it look like the bridge on either side of the dessert. They decorate it with raspberries and drizzle it in raspberry sauce. It's so good. I hope we got the flavor right."

Alex listened to Kelly talking with a steadily growing grin. It was always so cute to see Kelly getting so involved in her projects like this, and taking such pride in them as well. So she nodded along as Kelly spoke, waiting for her to finish before she replied. "So, just remind me of one thing. This food isn't really real, right? It looks and tastes real, but that's all part of the experience. I'm not going to leave this place and find out I've consumed a ton of calories in the real world, am I?"

"Guilt free deliciousness. Alex, this has real potential for patients with eating disorders, whatever they may be. If we can make actual eating more transactional and turn pleasure eating into something not related into caloric intake, we could change the way we treat our bodies. It's early days, but we're hopeful."