Epilogue

"Into the unknown."

Fifteen Months later...

The afternoon sun was shining into the classroom as little Phoebe made her way to the front, shuffling her little cardboard box nervously in her hands. When she reached the front, she stood on the small X that Mrs Dawson had marked out on the floor for them all to stand on when it was their turn, then she turned to face her classmates, took a deep breath and remembered the carefully written dialogue she'd practiced so hard to remember.

"My name is Phoebe Sanvers. It used to be Phoebe Marsh, but Mommy and Daddy Marsh went up to Heaven, and I got two new mommies instead. That's why I'm called Sanvers. Mamá's name is Sawyer and Mommy's name is Danvers, so they put them together and got Sanvers. I like Sanvers. And I love my Mommies, and I'm the luckiest girl in the world to have two of them. I should have three, but my other Mommy and my Daddy are in Heaven, and they're looking after my goldfish Bubbles. This is Bubbles." She reached into her box and pulled out a crayon drawing of a fish that she'd done, with some help. "And that's my Mommy and Daddy with Bubbles. They're all on a cloud in the sky."

Mrs Dawson stepped forward and took the picture, carefully sticking it up on the board, beneath the words "My Family", the subject of their show and tell session today.

Phoebe waited for her to do this, then carried on.

"My Mamá Maggie is a police sergeant. She chases bad people and locks them in jail so they can't hurt anyone. She speaks Spanish and is teaching me. She rescued me from the bad man who hurt my Mommy and Daddy Marsh. I feel safe with my Mamá. This is her." She reached into her box and pulled out another drawing that she'd done, this time of Maggie beside a car with a blue square on top, blue lines coming from the square to show that it was flashing. This was also stuck up on the board with the picture of Bubbles the fish and Phoebe's birth parents.

"My Mommy Alex is a Feral Agent and she works for the FIB. I think. Mamá calls her a word all the time, but I'm not allowed to say that word, so I have to say she's a bad butt, and this makes Mommy laugh. I'm not sure why Mommy has a bad butt, but it makes her really, really good at her job. She also catches bad people, and she works with Supergirl. This is my Mommy and Supergirl."

Again, Phoebe pulled out another crayon drawing of Alex and Supergirl this time, and there were several gasps from the children in the class.

"You don't know Supergirl!" A boy called Tommy called out.

Phoebe scowled at him. "Yes I do! She's really, really nice, and she comes round my house all the time and shares my ice cream! She flies me to school sometimes if Mommy and Mamá have to work."

"Do not," Tommy replied.

"Do too!"

"Do not!"

"Do too!"

"Not!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Alright class, let's settle down. Thank you Phoebe, for that wonderful presentation." Mrs Dawson said. "I'll remind all of you that we take turns and use our manners. We're all friends here, and we speak to each other with the same words we want people to use to us no matter—" There was a knock on the window, and all heads turned. "I... I... Supergirl?"

Smiling brightly, Supergirl hovered outside the window and waved. Then she pointed to the window before miming a window opening and closing with both hands.

In a haze, Mrs Dawson stumbled over to the window, opening it. "Oh, goodness, you're Supergirl."

"Last time I checked," Supergirl replied as she glided in through the open window and landed softly on the floor even as every child rose from their seat and stared, mouths agape. Supergirl smiled and nodded while she practically bounced to the front of the classroom. "Hey, Pheebs, sorry I'm late. There was a pile-up on the highway. Heroing comes first. So, this is your classroom, huh? Neat."