03: When We're Apart, Whatever Are You Thinking Of?

Jennie

The Clarendon Hotel & Spa

Phoenix, Arizona

6:52 AM, October 11th, 2019

---

I woke up to rain. Rain, rain, and more rain. It was thunder storming hard, and I found that the thunder was not going to let me go back to sleep anytime soon. I sighed, sitting up and looking over at the others. Lisa was fast asleep, but Jisoo was awake, standing at the floor length mirror.

She saw me in the reflection and gave me a sympathetic smile. "She's not gone, Jennie." She said.

I nodded. It sure felt like she was gone. Her clothes were still at the foot of the bed, stuffed in her suitcase. Her favorite bear was still in the bed, next to me.

Her hairbrush, I knew was sitting on the bathroom counter. Her toothbrush was in the holder, with ours. Without even noticing, tears started streaming down my face, and I was silent.

Jisoo looked over at me in alarm and gasped, running over to me. "Oh, Jennie, it'll be alright!" She said, sitting and pulling me into a hug. "She's going to wake up. And when she does, she'll be just as happy to see you again. We're all worried about her, Jennie."

I nodded, burying my face in her shoulder. She stroked my hair, and I calmed down. I thought about all the things Rosé and I have done together, and I wondered if she was doing the same, even in her sleep.

Then Lisa woke up. Graciously, she and Jisoo didn't ask about my tearstained face, they just helped wipe them away. They didn't ask about the knots in my hair, just brushed them out gently.

These girls were too good to me. We got dressed and headed to the hospital to check on Rosé, and I was silent the entire ride there.

---

Rosé

OASIS Hospital

Phoenix, Arizona

7:12 AM, October 11th, 2019

---

Darkness. That's all I could see. I panicked, but I couldn't move. Where am I? What's happening? I can't hear anything! I'm scared.. Where's Lalisa? Where's Jennie and Jisoo? Did they leave me here?

What's going on!? I vaguely registered the sound of beeping. If I focused hard enough, I could make out the sounds of people.

Footsteps, maybe. People talking. It was faint, but it was there.

Suddenly, there was a new sound. "Rosé?" Jennie!! She's here! They didn't forget about me! I wanted to talk, say that I could hear her very faintly, but I couldn't speak. "Rosé, it's me, Jennie. We.. we don't know if you can hear us..."

I CAN HEAR YOU!!!

Someone get me out of here! Please, somebody, anybody! "We want you to get better, Rosie." That was Lisa! Why can't I open my eyes!? "The doctor told us that you'll be in a coma for a bit. They're just keeping you asleep so you can heal. They don't know how long it'll take yet."

A COMA!?

They're keeping me asleep!? Oh, no, no, no, no. I can't be in a coma! We have things to do, concerts to perform in! What will YG say!?

It's dark. It's too dark! Someone get me out of here!! "Don't worry, Rosie." Jisoo. "You'll get better. They got the bullet out. They stitched you up, so we just have to wait for you to heal." I don't have time to wait! God, we're going to get hell from YG. None of us can get hurt like this. It'll ruin us. Lisa murmured something.

It sounded like she was talking to Jennie, because I heard her say "Okay. Thanks." Then footsteps fading. Jisoo and Lisa must've left. Ohhhhh, shit. No.

I cannot be alone in a room with Jennie, even if I'm "unconscious". I felt Jennie take my hand, and I would've shivered if I could. "Rosé.. Rosé, Rosé, Rosie.." She groaned, and I felt her face in the blanket. I wanted to touch her, but I was paralyzed. And then she was crying. "Rosé.. it's all my fault. I shouldn't have let you do that for me.." What is she TALKING about?!

I wanted to do that! "I'm sorry, Rosé!!" She cried, and this time I heard her sobbing. Arghhh!!! I can't move even though I want to!

Is this what it's like being in a coma? It sucks. But in comas, you're not supposed to be able to hear or feel stuff, right?Suddenly, I heard the door open, and Jennie's head left my side.

"Doctor." She said. So the doctor was here. "Whoa." I heard a male's voice say. "What?!" Jennie asked instantly, on edge already. "Her brain activity is through the roof!! What have you been doing in here?" He asked Jennie. She stammered.

"I was just.. t-talking, I guess." She said. "Hm.." I heard him say. "She might be awake, even if she's asleep. Her brain functionality would not be this high if she was asleep." I felt a hand take mine again, but it wasn't Jennie's.

"Rosé? My name is Dr. Ashlar. If you can hear me, move your pointer finger."

I focused super hard, as hard as I possibly could. A collective gasp echoed between Jennie and the doctor. "Jisoo! Lalisa!! Come quick!"

Jennie's voice faded while Dr. Ashlar started calling for nurses. Had I moved? I couldn't tell. I still couldn't feel anything. "We need to get a brain scan, and fast." The doctor said, assumingly to a nurse.

---

Jennie

OASIS Hospital

7:31 AM, October 11th, 2019

---

I couldn't believe it. Rosé was awake, even in her coma. Is that even possible? Who cares!? I bolted from the room, rushing through the waiting room like a madman.

"Jisoo! Lalisa!! Come quick!" I called as nurses stared and other doctors dropped clipboards at the sight of me.

Lisa was the first to notice me, and she immediately shot out of her plastic chair.

"What? What's wrong!?" She asked frantically. I shook my head. "Nothing. The doctor said that Rosie might be awake." Jisoo looked up and gasped.

"What? Really?" She asked, and I nodded. Lisa rushed toward the room that Rosé was being held in, us following.

Dr. Ashlar was leaning over Rosé, staring intently at the heart monitor and another machine. "What's wrong with her?" Lisa asked.

He looked up at us and smiled warmly. "She's awake. She's healing nicely, too." He backed up and there she was; Rosé, eyes open and looking at us with tears in her eyes.

"Rosie."

I breathed, and we all fell apart. I rushed to her bedside and wrapped my arms around her neck, making sure not to squeeze her because of her stitches.

She slowly lifted her hand up to my back and patted it softly, but that was all she could manage. I didn't care, as long as I had my Rosie back.

Lisa and Jisoo group hugged us as I sobbed. "Hey, what's with the tears, Jennie?" Rosé teased tiredly.

I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up and let me hug you."