06: Just Breathe

Rosé

Houston Expo Center

Houston, Texas

7:48 PM, October 11th, 2019

---

We flew into Texas and got ready for the fan signing in what I'd call record time. We rode down to the arena, and already fans were crowding the entryway.

We climbed out, and everyone started screaming. But as soon as Jennie rolled me out in my wheelchair, the crowd got so quiet, you could hear the cars five miles away.

Only two girls continued cheering, and they lifted my spirits.

One girl was shyly clapping, and the other was shaking her arm and squealing.

"Look, Zoe!! It's Rosé!!" She squealed. The girl- Zoe, I assumed- sighed and rolled her eyes playfully. "We heard about your accident. We're so sorry about what happened!" The girl said.

Zoe nodded, and I could see how shy she was. "Thank you guys, really." I said. The girl next to Zoe looked like she was about to faint, and Zoe sighed.

"Mae, calm down. She's a human being, not a rare alien." She smirked. I laughed, and the others led me ahead.

When we finally got set up, almost hundreds of fans were waiting excitedly, including Zoe and her friend Mae.

We signed albums, shirts, gave hugs.

It was pretty fun. I could tell most of the BLINKS were a little put off by me being in a wheelchair, and it kind of hurt.

The only ones who didn't seem to mind was Zoe, Mae, and another girl who was really sweet.

She told me her name was Ellie, and she had scrounged up and saved every penny she earned to come.

Then her dad had taken the money and used it for alcohol and drugs.

She was devastated, but then when she told her friends, they all raised money for her to go.

The story brought me to tears, and I signed some sheets for her to give her friends. Then we did a few sitting songs for the fans, which everyone loved. My voice strained a little bit because of my wound, but hopefully no one noticed.

Then Zoe and Mae got to the front of the line with us. "Hi again!" I said. Mae waved, a dorky grin on her face. Zoe looked at her and sighed, shaking her head.

"Don't mind her. This has been her dream since forever." She explained, and I nodded. "Where are you guys from?" I asked. "H-Here." Mae squeaked out.

Zoe laughed. "We're roommates. She heard about the fansigning and begged me to let her go, so we both came." She smiled, pushing a strand of hair over her ear only to have it fall back in her face seconds later.

I could tell she was shy and didn't talk a lot. "Well, you two. How would you like to come backstage with us at our next concert?" I asked.

Mae's eyes widened to the size of plates. "Oh, thank you! We'd love to!" Zoe said, noting the look on her face.

I nodded, signing Mae's album and Zoe's shirt and handing them a piece of paper with my number on it.

"Don't tell anyone, or you might get mobbed." I whispered teasingly.

Mae nodded quickly, clutching the piece of paper excitedly. Zoe smiled and bowed in thanks. "Thank you." She said. Then she lit up.

"Oh! I almost forgot. Would you sing this for us later? It's one of my favorite songs, and I thought you'd like to hear it."

She said, rummaging around in her bag and handing me a sheet with writing on it.

Owl City - Firebird (Alternate Version) was written on the top. I nodded, smiling. "I'll see what I can do!" I promised, and she beamed.

"C'mon, Mae." She said, and Mae waved to me before going to sit with Jisoo. Then Zoe came back. "I just have a question." She said timidly. I smiled. "Go ahead." She looked up at me, and I saw the shy girl with the hurt in her eyes, the pain and sadness of having hurtful words thrown her way.

I knew how that felt. "Have you.. have you ever done this before? Had a depressed BLINK come to your concert?" She asked. I hesitated.

We've never met any, no. But I'm sure plenty came. "Maybe, yes. We've never met every single fan. Why do you ask?" I replied.

She looked sad and happy at the same time. "Your song, Hope Not?" She said tentatively. I nodded.

"What about it?" I replied.

She pushed the same strand of hair behind her ear again. "I was lonely for a very long time. I didn't have any friends, and people bullied me through sixth grade to now. And a few weeks ago, I was going to... you know."

I nodded. She looked ashamed of herself. "I didn't tell Mae. I didn't want her to know. But when I was writing my suicide letter to her, I was playing your music. And Hope Not came on."

I smiled sympathetically. "And I remember looking up the lyrics. The translation. And I cried." She said.

"I had actually just gotten over a breakup that wasn't even either of our decisions. His parents made us. The first few interactions were SO awkward. And the song just reminded me, like, "Hey. Don't do this. He's hoping that you don't forget him."

I smiled wider. "So I burned it in the park. I threw away the letter's ashes and I went and told Mae. She cried. I told her that I wanted help, and she agreed." I reached across and took her hand, nodding. "I know we've talked for all of ten minutes." I started. "But I'm going to say this anyway: I am SO proud of you." I said. Zoe let out a small laugh, and I chuckled with her.

---

Jennie

8:35 PM, October 11th, 2019

Houston Expo Center

Houston, Texas

---

When Lisa nudged me and pointed in Rosé's direction, I was instantly on edge. But nothing had happened. "Listen." Lisa whispered.

The fan sitting with Rosé pushed a strand of hair behind her ear, looking nervous.

"I was lonely for a very long time. I didn't have any friends, and people bullied me through sixth grade to now. And a few weeks ago, I was going to... you know." She said softly, looking ashamed of herself.

"I didn't tell Mae. I didn't want her to know. But when I was writing my suicide letter to her, I was playing your music. And Hope Not came on."

A soft smile came over my lips, and I nudged Jisoo and pointed. "And I remember looking up the lyrics. The translation. And I cried." She said.

"I had actually just gotten over a breakup that wasn't even either of our decisions. His parents made us. The first few interactions were SO awkward. And the song just reminded me, like, "Hey. Don't do this. He's hoping that you don't forget him."

Jisoo looked at me and back at the fan in surprise, and I shrugged. "So I burned the note. I threw away the letter's ashes and I went and told Mae. She cried. I told her that I wanted help, and she agreed." Jisoo took my hand, and then after a second I took Lisa's as we watched the exchange.

"I know we've talked for all of ten minutes." Rosé started. "But I'm going to say this anyway: I am SO proud of you." She said. The girl let out a small laugh, and Rosé chuckled with her.

"You did it. You managed it. Anyone in your spot probably would've done it without a second thought, but you. You thought about it. And sometimes, I think if you just stop and think, that that's when everything makes sense." Rosé said.

Wise words. Damn, I love her so much. The fan had tears in her eyes, and Rosé smiled. The girl stood up, and Rosé hugged her from her wheelchair. We went back to signing autographs and meeting fans, and then it was time for the grand finale.