PROLOGUE

Garten Armiston lived twenty-nine years, and in all his near three decades he followed the law to the dot

Garten Armiston lived twenty-nine years, and in all his near three decades he followed the law to the dot. The Silver Church had set in place many laws, so many that it was impossible to keep track of every section, every division, every minuscule regulation. But it was not impossible for Garten Armiston. These laws existed for a reason. These were God's decrees, and God expected the people to follow them, and Garten Armiston was a godly man.

     So godly was he that the immediate morning after his infernal deed was committed, he walked himself through the cold streets of Silvertown, the crispness of the air hinting at the impending winter, and turned himself in. Yes, Garten Armiston had committed a terrible sin. And to commit a sin was to break the law. And to break the law was to defile the Silver Church. And the protectors of his faith did not tolerate such desecration.

     Garten Armiston, after twenty-nine years of abiding the law, slept with another man. He could not help it. Carry Lowell was so dashing the night before. His hair gleamed gold, and his eyes shone bright like sapphires. He came to him, pleading for affection. Enamoured by the pale boy's beauty, Garten's lips ran rampant, and there was no patch of skin left unexplored on Carry Lowell's stunning body.

     The night was hot and passionate, but the coldness of the morning came, and Garten Armiston knew that what transpired between the two men was wrong. He left Carry – beautiful, sleeping Carry – to slumber in peace. Perhaps he deserved this little time of tranquillity. Garten knew that come noon, Carry will have been thrown in a cell of his own, and he hoped it would be one far enough from his so that he would not have to stare guiltily into the boy's pretty eyes.

     Indeed, Garten lived twenty-nine years, following the law. He never imagined that days before his birthday he would be locked up in a cage with a man who did not mind shitting and pissing all over the floor in front of a stranger. Perhaps he had it right. Garten had been keeping his bowels in check for – how long? A day? Perhaps, three? He did not know for certain. There were no windows where he was. The dark room was dimly lit by a small torch by the door.

     They would be dead soon. Perhaps he should just let it all out now. It would be more dignified than shitting underwater as his life slowly drained out of him. He'd better shit now while he still had control of his bowels, maybe to compensate for the control he lacked over his manhood when he claimed the beautiful boy for his perversion.