What is it to be a Monster?

☾☾ Trigger Warning: mentions of self-harm, if you do not feel comfortable reading further, please DM me for paragraphs/portions to avoid or a summary of the chapter. Please stay safe, all my love ☾☾

Daire was a trained killer. She was taught how to case her environment and pinpoint her opponents' weaknesses and exploit them, always using her head rather than her emotions. Daire Argent was the perfect little weapon.

However, now at this very moment, not a single plan was formulated in her head as she took off to find Scott. Daire was relying on her instincts, her sense of smell and the emotional tether that connected her to her friend. Daire knew vaguely that Derek was right behind her, but everything around her seemed to blend into the background. The only thing that mattered right now was saving Scott. 

Daire could smell it, wolfsbane, the closer she got to Scott the stronger the smell. She quickly glanced over at Derek who had also begun to notice it as he forcefully cleared his throat but they didn't stop as they reached the room. 

"Allison - please tell her I'm sorry," Scott mumbled breathlessly.

Daire didn't waste a moment and forcefully kicked the door down. The room was smaller than she expected and was filled with steam that started to burn her eyes and throat. She looked around wildly for Scott to find him lying on the floor. Daire felt the cold metal slice her skin before she saw the assailant, grasping the hand that held the knife Daire turned around and was face to face with her aunt. 

"Grab Scott and go!" Daire called out to Derek who seemed to have as much trouble breathing as Scott did. Derek turned to her with Scott lying limp in his grasp and nodded, making his way out the door. 

"No!" Victoria shouted as she tried to break free of Daire's grasp, and stabbing Daire in the leg with a finger dagger. Daire hissed in pain and reluctantly released her aunt. 

"He's gone Victoria, just leave-" Daire began but was cut off as her aunt pinned her up against the wall, knife at her throat. 

"You've gone too far this time Daire," her aunt spit her name out as if it were a curse. Her face red with anger and exertion. 

"Let go," Daire said, she was beginning to find it hard to think through all the steam, blinking rapidly to clear her head Daire stomped hard on her aunt's foot, hoping to break free of her grasp without causing severe injury. Victoria kept her grasp but dropped the knife and it clattered on the floor. 

Daire squeezed her eyes shut. She could hardly think now but she knew something was happening to her. She started to feel uncomfortable in her skin as if she didn't quite fit in it anymore and her gums burned. All she wanted was to get out. She doesn't remember what happened, but the next thing she knows is that both she and Victoria are on the ground. Isaac bursts into the room with a hand pressed against his mouth as he scoops Daire into his arms. His hands large and warm, as the pressed her close to his body. Isaac doesn't waste any time and makes his way out of the room, but Daire glances back at her aunt.

Victoria's  icy blue eyes were wide and glued onto Daire and Isaac's retreating figures, "Just what in the world are you?"

🌙

Daire doesn't know how she got home from the rave last night, she doesn't know if her aunt is going to reveal her secret, she doesn't know if Allison realizes that their family is evil, she also doesn't know whether or not Isaac actually likes her and she doesn't know why she remembers the taste of blood. 

What she does know, however, is that Lydia is having a very big very special birthday party and that all of her friends think that it's a bad idea. Daire however, managed to avoid taking part in the whole party argument. Only planning on doing the bare minimum of showing up in the dress Lydia picked out for her with a present. After what happened the night before, Daire wasn't really in the mood to worry about a party when she was currently worrying about her life.