Chapter 6: A Painful Reminder

The previous day

Aizen's perspective

I was getting ready for the day after I woke up in a sweat. I had felt a small sting on my right leg ever since then. I went to the office to do my paperwork and greeted my Captain as I walked in. He looked distracted with something as he glared out the window. "Hey, Lieutenant Aizen, you remember that crazy chick from yesterday?" He turned around and gave me a stern look while waiting for my reply. "Yes, I do," I gave a straightforward reply, not knowing where this conversation was going.

"Do you remember feeling any strange energy when she disappeared yesterday?" I guess I wasn't the only one who noticed. "Yes, I take it that means you felt it as well." My interest in this conversation was starting to grow. Usually, Captain Hirako always kept his distance socially, but today he was acting a little differently.

Captain Hirako looked out the window again before speaking. "Yeah, I did. I also felt the same thing the day before that. And I'm feeling it again today, but it's getting stronger now."

Now that he mentioned it, I was starting to feel it too. It was immensely strong now, and what surprised me most was that it was coming in our direction now. It flew past us when suddenly it was masked by something else.

"What could that have been about?" Captain Hirako had voiced my very thoughts. "I'm not sure Captain," After I spoke, our quant little social exchange ended for the day as everything went back to normal.

Though throughout the day, I had a very ominous feeling that haunted me. I, however, was familiar with it, but I had not felt it this strongly since two hundred years ago.

"Looks like he's making his move again."

Back To The Present

Momiji's Perspective

"So, Miji chan, what would you like to eat?" Hibisuke san took me to a line of food stalls in a place he called the Rukon district. The different stalls all had such foreign and delicious smelling food I couldn't make up my mind. "I can't choose why don't you pick for me? That way it could double as a surprise."

"Ah, smart move, I like your thinking, Miji chan," Hibisuke san remarked with a chuckle. I stood by a rundown looking house and listened to the joyful noises of the crowds. I heard the people talking about a potential new captain of the 12th squad and what happened to the previous one.

My thoughts went back to Kisuke san and what he said to me. The mere thought of being devoured by my powers was unsettling, as I'm sure anyone would find it to be. But before I let myself become overrun with my thoughts, I let it all go for the moment to take in the heat of the sun and scents of the food.

I want to take in every ounce of this moment, and enjoy this peace.

"Miji chan! Oi, I have our food!" Hibisuke san called out to me a few moments later. I had lost him in the crowd for a moment, but once I caught sight of him, I ran over to him as best I could. "Oh, what's that?" He seemed to be holding sticks with different looking things on them. "Oh, these? These are hanami dango," Hibisuke san stated as he held up his left hand, which held the sticks with the colorful orbs. "And these are dried squid," He added as he held up his right hand with the sticks that had the flat looking things on them.

"Here, take some! I suggest you try the dried squid first." He gave me two of each and watched me with the same overjoyed expression a child would wear when waiting for you to try their imaginary tea.

I took in the scent of the dried squid and looked back at him to see him give me a nod. Well, here goes nothing! I bit down on the squid and gave it a good monch before I cried out in delight.