The Call She Never Wanted To Receive

2:30am 

Erin was in her bed when she suddenly heard her cell phone ring. At first she thought it was a dream, but when a little hand nudged her, she realized that her cell phone was really ringing. 

"Oh, my little girl, I'm sorry that the ringing woke you up," Erin said. 

A soft, tiny voice replied, "It's okay, Mommy, I was just wondering why it didn't stop, so I wanted to make sure everything was okay. 

"Thank you, my sweetheart, I just didn't hear it. Go back to sleep, it's the middle of the night and you have to go to kindergarten tomorrow," she said. 

"Okay, mommy, I love you," the child answered. 

"Good night, sweetheart," Erin added before the girl walked out the door.

                                                       ----------------------

Erin unlocked her phone and saw 4 missed calls from an unknown number. She wondered who was calling her that late, so she called the number back. After the second ring, a female voice answered.

"Hello, I'm really sorry to bother you so late, but are you Erin Lindsay? 

"Hello, yes, I am. Why?" Erin replied. 

"This is Nurse Paula Johnson from the Cleveland Clinic. About an hour ago, a seriously injured man, early to mid-30s, was brought in. We didn't know his name so we tried to find out. A few minutes earlier, we found an ID and your phone number as an emergency contact. His name is Jay Halstead..." 

Erin interrupted the nurse. 

"Oh, my God, Jay... wh-what happened to him?" 

"We don't know exactly. He was found like this. So far we've been able to identify two gunshot wounds, but we won't know the rest until we get him to an OR." 

Erin tried to hold back her tears and says in a shaky voice 

"I-I can't believe this, oh my God" 

"Miss Lindsay I would like to ask you to come to the Cleveland Clinic as you are currently the only person we can talk to about the decisions that need to be made." 

"I-I c-can't I have a daughter and live in New York..." 

"Miss Lindsay, can you give us someone we can call instead?" 

"No, uh I-I'm coming to Cleveland, I was just really shocked but yeah, uhh it'll take just a little while longer since I'm in New York." 

"Thank you so much! Again, I'm very sorry to have woken you up and brought you this terrible news." 

The nurse hung up.

Hey guys;) Thank you for reading my story. I hope you enjoyed it and I would really appreciate if you would give a feedback in the comments if you like it or not. The next Chapter will be up soon.