Chapter 1 ✔

"Carnivore."

Air whistles by Alec's ear and he whips around on the balls of his heels, indignantly meeting familiar steel-coloured eyes. "Do you hear with your nose, Hibari-san?" The blond questions slowly.

His annoyance and frustration is on the edge of boiling into seething anger, and the heavy sunlight beating over their backs still smothers and stifles him, but slowly, Alec releases the briefest exhale.

"I refuse your challenge."

"I'll bite you--"

"I said no!" Alec snaps, and Kyoya's sharp gaze cuts him when he shakes his head dismissively.

He turns around to continue walking, and his polished leather shoes clack against the stone pavement, loud and crisp like the volume of his lilting voice.

"I promise you're welcome to tomorrow, Kyo."

***

It's when his heart thuds in his chest as he makes another turn, Alec pauses to raise his head, and Wind tangles his short hair, curling around his neck like a scarf as if it's trying to whisper in his ear.

Down the road--right there--the Sun is there, it projects.

He throws himself forward, darting faster than he thinks he's ever moved, and the blond blinks hard, skidding to a stop.

"Don't even think about seeing Reborn-chan anymore--"

Alec faintly realises he's intruded an argument, but he's frozen and utterly breathless as his blood pounds in his chest and ears when a white-hot pain sears across his cheek, spreading to his face.

It stings. Like the sudden closing of his chest and windpipe when he confirms the small frame of the Sun through the blur of wet eyes.

"--who are you?!"

"Reborn," Alec chokes out, ignoring the girl as he dashes towards the house fence with shaking hands. "You're here," he breathes out softly, almost dazedly as he carefully lifts the surprised Arcobaleno into his arms away from the fence. His next words are endearing but almost silent, like a scratchy whisper as he gently pulls Reborn next to his chest, cradling him.

"Il mio raggio di sole..." He murmurs, silver threads of steady-formless-strong thrumming warmly under his sunburned skin. Alec cards his fingers under Reborn's fedora, through his hair, and can tell his eyes are at least smiling at Leon. It bubbles in his core, sprouting and hissing faintly in his ears as they warm the hitman. "Who's the boy?" His jewel-like eyes briefly flit over as Leon flicks his tongue against his hand, "Your other alunno?"

"Sawada Tsunayoshi," Reborn answers, looking past his fedora to shoot Tsuna a threatening stare.

Alec pauses, snuggling Reborn closer and turns to the restless brunet with a wide, thankful smile, "Thank you for looking after Reborn."

"You're Reborn-chan's older brother?" Haru steps in front of him, sceptically narrowing her big eyes at his uniform. "And you haven't notified the authorities if he went missing?"

Alec frowns, hand leaving Reborn to touch his tender cheek. His liquid sapphire eyes darken as his lips back into slight frown, glancing down at Reborn.

"Missing?" He repeats in confusion, but before he can correct the girl's assumption, Reborn interrupt.

"Kidnapping me wouldn't work," the hitman says, climbing onto Alec's shoulder who studies her expression as Reborn does so. "It's my job to raise Tsuna, the 10th boss of the mafia. I cannot be separated from Tsuna till then--"