Chapter nineteen

It was early morning the next day when Gladys had called Alice to ask if the kids would be able to attend her wedding with FP.

So she sent them off, honestly grateful that she had the day to think about everything that was going to change.

Gladys was at the front desk, already in her white dress that cut right above her knees. She nervously fiddled with her fingers as she talked to the manager.

"So that's it, you have nothing else to worry about. We have the flowers, the music, and the location, which is beautiful by the way you are going to love it!" He promises with a smile.

"I just hope everything goes as planned." She twirls a piece of her hair.

"I promise you it is going to be the most romantic day of your life!" He reassures her.

Alice had made her way down to the lobby, wanting to find something to eat. She noticed Gladys at the front desk and panicked, she didn't want to see her, especially today.

"Hermie!" Gladys had noticed her and called her over with a smile.

"Fuck." Alice thought.

"Yeah? Oh, Gladys! I didn't see you there." She turns to face the woman who walks anxiously towards her.

She had to admit, Gladys looked beautiful. A vision in white, she couldn't help but smile at her.

"Well, you just look absolutely beautiful." She motions at her.

"Really? Thank you." She breathes out.

"Of course." Alice winked.

She took a deep breath. "Hermie, can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, anything." Alice's eyebrows furrow.

"Do you still want to be with FP?" She asks her.

Her heart had practically stopped. Her eyebrows raised to her hairline and her mouth gaped open at the question his soon to be wife was asking her.

"Wait, what? I-" She shakes her head, letting out a choked laugh.

"Because I think that he-he still may be in love with you." She admits.

"Really?" Her eyes gleamed, as her breath hitched.

She quickly caught herself though, opting for raising her eyebrows and shaking her head once more. She wasn't going to let her own personal feelings ruin FP's wedding day, no matter how much it hurt.

"Why would you think that?" She asks, honestly wondering why.

"He's always glowing when you're around. He-he laughs at your jokes, he doesn't laugh at mine." She tells Alice, voice wavering slightly.

"Oh, Gladys, trust me-" she grabs her hands. "-there is nothing between FP and I. We're just, you know, we're familiar. And you are the girl for him, he even told me that last night." She reassures her, and tried to believe her own words herself.

She lets out a sigh of relief. "Hermie, this is such a relief!" She pulls Alice into an embrace. "Because I could never stand a chance going up against you-"

Alice's focus soon shifted to the gift shop she was facing, where she found FP and her two children goofing around. They were smiling, laughing, having so much fun, something they never got to do with their real father.

Gladys kept talking, but she couldn't hear here anymore. Her eyes were glued to the three of them as her eyes glistened over with tears at the realization that, it would all be over soon.

-

With all of the emotions going through Alice's head, she decided to make her way down to the beach where there was a bar. She slumped in her chair as she drank a piña colada, drinking away her sorrow.

"Alice!" A voice had suddenly called her name, making her groan.

"Oh god, Hermie." She rolled her eyes.

Hermione made her way over to Alice, opening her arms for a hug. "That was so much fun last night, but I am still trying to work out how you cheated!"

Alice laughed along with her, fakely. "I didn't, I didn't cheat."

"So, where is FP?" Hermione grins, signalling for a drink.

"Hermione..." she takes a deep breath. "FP, is-uh-is at his wedding."

"Come again?" Hermione sends her a confused look.

"I was never really married to him-" Hermione's mouth gapes open at the revelation. "-All a big lie that I made up."

"Why?" She questions her.

"Because I could not stand the thought of you knowing the truth." She admits, not caring anymore what she thought of her.

"Really?" Hermione's shocked.

"So yeah, I am a single mother. I have two kids that I love more than anything in the world. I drive a Honda, and I still have dial-up internet. I got a 2.7 GPA in college, not a 3.4." She rambles on as Hermione sips on her drink.

"And while I'm at it, telling the truth, I named my kid's poop after you." Hermione snorts. "And I work for FP, I am his assistant, that's it." Alice holds up her drink before taking a long sip.

"Really? I would have never guessed this. I mean, you two had a real connection." Hermione shakes her head.

"He's great, he is the greatest guy. And I might even be in love with him, but-" she places her head in the palm of her hand, feeling guilty for even admitting her feelings. "-that doesn't matter at this moment, because he is getting married to another person right now."

Hermione can see the pain in her eyes, and how she felt embarrassed. Alice had told her the truth, she decided it was her turn. Maybe it could make her feel better about her entire situation.

"Hiram and I are breaking up."

"What? What happened?" Alice questions.

She sighs. "Well, for starters, he's gay."

"He's gay?"

Hermione nods. "I mean look at him." She points over to where her husband is, talking to a group of men and giggling like a lunatic.

Alice bites her lip to stifle a giggle. "Hermie, I gotta tell you, last night when he grabbed your guy's coconut off the ground with his ass... a little bit of a red flag."

Hermione lets out a laugh. "I've seen him do that with the soap."

"Oh my god." Alice exclaims, as the two start laughing together.

"Well, this is different." Hermione taps Alice on the shoulder with a smile.

"Yeah, why didn't we try this whole truth-telling thing before?" Alice turns to face her.

"I really don't know." Hermione shrugs with a smile.

Alice opens her arms, finally feeling good about herself with Hermione being around. She's embracing her friend tightly when Hermione exclaims loudly, causing Alice's brows to furrow.

"What?" Alice asks her, letting go of her and turning around to be met with a grinning FP.

-

Next chapter is the last one!