Chapter 3

Azalea tucked a stray hair behind her ear as she checked the area below the growing bench. She made sure it was wet enough for the plants above it and sure enough, it was. 

"Wow." A familiar Scottish accent said behind her. She jumped, hitting her head on the bench above. She groaned as the voice laughed lightly. "You alright there, little rose?"

She crawled out from under the bench, rubbing the back of her head. Harry stood before her with a small teasing smile. His smile grew as he set eyes on her. She was wearing an old royal blue Auradon Prep tank top and black leggings with gold colored sandals. Her hair was down in its natural curls around her shoulders and her mask was plain black.

She rolled her eyes, pulling out her phone from the waistband of her leggings. She typed out a message, Didn't I tell you that was the wrong flower?

"Did I ever say I'd stop callin' ya that?" He smirked back.

She snorted a small laugh and shook her head. What are you doing here, Harry?

"Ain't it obvious?" He responded. "I'm here to see you."

She blinked in slight shock and paused before typing another message, I sincerely doubt that.

Harry frown lightly. Mal was right. Azalea thought low of herself. And in Harry's eyes, if not all of her friends' eyes, for no reason.

"Really? Then tell me why I'm in this gorgeous greenhouse," He spread his arms to gesture to the entire space, "If not to see yer even more gorgeous face." He smiled when he saw her blush darkly. "Speakin' of," He pointed to the growing bench she was just under. "What were ya doin' under there?"

These are African violets. Her explanation read, They require a lot of humidity so to keep it up, I keep the area underneath wet. I was checking it in case it needed to be redone.

Harry nodded, hiding his enjoyment at seeing her eyes sparkle as she talked about something she obviously loved. "You keep this place?" She nodded with a smile. "I assumed you'd have servants to do that."

Typically a princess would but I prefer to do it myself. My parents give me free rein in the greenhouse so it's grown a lot.

"So all this," He pointed to the surrounding foliage. "Is yer work?" She nodded and he smiled. "Mind givin' me a tour?"

She blushed again but nodded. She led him to the front of the greenhouse by the door. He followed her as she pointed out different flowers she had planted and maintained. His eyes went wide when they went to the back of the greenhouse and there was a bush of flowers in a mesmerizing blueish purple color.

She smiled under the mask and showed him the message. These are azaleas. Basically my pride and joy outside of the roses.

Harry smirked lightly and delicately touched one of the blooms, looking to the princess. "I can see the resemblance." 

Azalea felt her cheeks heat up once again. She gently plucked one of the flowers from the bush, holding it out to Harry. He smiled and took the flower, making sure to have their fingers brush as he did so. She sucked in a sharp breath and it took all his self-control not to do the same.

Belle smiled from the doorway to the greenhouse. She'd come to check on Azalea but managed to see the flower exchange instead. She couldn't remember the last time her daughter had acted like she did with Harry. 

She smiled, sent a silent prayer to the universe to keep Harry in Azalea's life before turning to head back into the castle.

*******

Over the next few weeks, Harry spent more and more time at the castle and with Azalea. He helped her in the gardens, listened to her practice her music, and just generally spent time with her. Their bond strengthened and no one saw that more than her family.

Before he went to the castle, Harry managed to catch Jane on the way. "Harry, hi." Jane greeted. "I thought you would be with Aza."

"I'm on my way but I needed to talk to ya first." She raised an eyebrow. "Would you mind teachin' me sign language?" 

Her eyes widened with a smile. "You're really willing to put in the effort for Aza?"

Harry nodded, rubbing the back of his neck bashfully. "I wanna make it easier on her."

Jane smiled brightly. Azalea was probably her best friend and everyone could see that Harry made her exceedingly happy. And now she saw that he was willing to work to make her feel more comfortable.

"Of course I'll teach you." Jane responded. "I can meet tomorrow at noon."

Harry nodded with a smile. "Thanks. I'll talk to ya later." 

With that, he turned and left for the castle. Jane squealed a little, excited for Azalea's happiness.

*******

Azalea played another string of notes on the cello, the sound filling the empty music room. She cringed and stopped. The notes still didn't sound quite right. She glanced down at her leather notebook. Her own handwriting stared back at her on the page it was open to. She set the bow aside and stood up, tears burning in her eyes. 

The notes didn't sound right because they weren't meant to be played. They were meant to be sung.

Her mask felt like it was suffocating her. She tore it from her face, throwing it onto the ground. Her lips ached, wanting so desperately to say something, anything. She clenched her eyes shut, covered her mouth with her hand and let out a muffled scream.

Clenching her fists, she sat back down at her cello, pouring out her screams into the notes she was playing. The final note hung in the air like smoke, choking her. She slammed her notebook closed and begrudgingly put the mask back on her face.

She clutched the notebook to her chest as she left the room, the smoke of the song becoming too much for her. 

The notes were meant to be sung but the world decided they never would be.