Chapter 8

Mal, Evie, Uma, Lonnie, Jane, Audrey, and Azalea sat around Evie's design room, discussing their bridesmaids' looks and duties for Mal's royal wedding. However, Azalea was barely listening to what they were talking about. 

It had been nearly a week since her 'fight' with Harry and neither one had reached out to the other. It was making her anxious and on edge more than usual. It felt like there was something she was missing this entire time and she hated it.

Evie laid a piece of fabric out on the table. It was a gorgeous purple that shimmered blue when the light hit it. "I'm thinking this fabric for the dresses and maybe even to tie the bouquet together." She explained. 

"Or a ribbon of it around her waist!" Audrey interjected.

Evie nodded enthusiastically. "Ooh! Love that idea! It's a perfect blend of Mal and Ben."

Jane perked up. "And since most of the bridesmaids and groomsmen are trained with swords, we could have them all line up along the aisle and raise swords in an arch for Mal's entrance."

"That I like." Mal pointed to Jane with a smile. She looked to Azalea who was fidgeting with her mask, not paying attention. "Lea?"

Azalea jumped a bit and looked back. Sorry. She signed. That all sounds great. 

Jane sighed. "Aza, you've been acting off all day."

"All week." Mal corrected. 

"What's going on?" Jane asked.

Azalea buried her face in her hands before reluctantly signing, Harry and I got into a fight earlier this week. It was my fault but we haven't spoken since. Lonnie smiled sympathetically at her and Audrey rubbed her arm supportively. It feels like something's missing since it happened and I don't know what to do.

Uma rolled her eyes playfully. "What you do is apologize." She told the princess. "If you know it's your fault, own up to it and be the bigger person. It'll help the both of you because if I know Harry, and I do, he's probably feeling just as crappy about it as you do."

Azalea nodded. Jane came over to hug her around the neck. "Why don't we all head out for some food?" She proposed. "I'm sure we could use some fresh air." The girls nodded and Jane linked her arm with Azalea's. She lowered her voice so that only Azalea could hear. "Don't worry. I'm sure everything will work out."

Azalea smiled under the mask gratefully. Thanks for everything. Jane smiled back and they followed after their friends. 

They found a small cafe to get lunch at and their talk was fun. Azalea felt more relaxed than she had been but still, the thought of Harry tugged at the back of her mind. They finished lunch and got in the limo to head back to the castle.

Azalea clenched her eyes shut in frustration when they pulled up to the castle and saw a group of paparazzi waiting for them. Mal groaned lightly. "They've been vultures since the wedding date was announced."

Evie sighed. "They must've figured out we were having a bridesmaid meeting and want the details." 

Jane noticed Azalea making herself smaller in her seat and took her hand. "It's okay, Aza. We'll get through them." Uma raised an eyebrow at the princess' behavior. "The press hounds Aza about her mask and her muteness every time she steps foot in public."

Part of the reason I'm a homebody. Azalea signed.

Jane squeezed her hand and Uma smirked at Azalea. "Don't worry, princess. They'll have to deal with me to get to you."

Azalea cracked a small smile and reluctantly followed the girls as they climbed out of the limo. Jane kept a grip on Azalea's hand while the press bombarded them with questions.

"Mal, how's the wedding planning going?"

"Evie, any details on what the dress will look like?"

"Is Hades going to walk you down the aisle?"

Azalea physically flinched when the press started zeroing in on her. "Princess Azalea, are you going to be wearing the mask for the wedding?" "What's under the mask, princess? The public deserves to know."

Azalea kept her head down and the girls pushed through the crowd. Suddenly, Azalea's hand was ripped from Jane's grasp. "Azalea!" The girls turned to see a reporter pull the princess close enough to rip her mask off.

Gasps filled the air and Azalea felt the world freeze. The reporters instantly started snapping photos and the girls looked at her in shock. "Lea?" Mal asked, her voice shaking.

Azalea covered her mouth with her hand and sprinted into the castle, tears trickling down her face. "Azalea!" Multiple of the girls called.

Uma gritted her teeth and unsheathed her sword, Lonnie following her lead. They pointed their weapons at the reporter who ripped the mask off with fierce glares. "You chose the wrong princess to mess with, buddy." Lonnie hissed.

"I was just trying to do my job." The reporter shakily explained. "The public has a right to know if their leaders are hiding something from them. Especially something as disgusting as that."

Uma touched her blade to his neck. "Say that one more time. I dare you."

"Guys!" Mal shouted at them. "Stand down!"

"But Mal..." Uma started to argue but the future queen cut them off.

"He'll be handled." She waved her hand and two guards came over and led the reporter away to face punishment. Many of the other reporters ran off, desperate to get their photos out.

"Our concern right now is the girl who just ran into the castle crying." Audrey continued. Uma and Lonnie sheathed their weapons and all the girls ran to the castle, ignoring the remaining paparazzi.

Ben rushed over to them as they came in. "Mal, what happened?" He demanded. "Azalea just ran to her room practically sobbing without her mask."

"Some damned reporter thought it would be okay to rip it off of her." Mal said. Ben growled and was about to storm outside when Mal stopped him. "The guards already took him away but we're more worried about Aza."

Belle and Adam rushed into the room. "We saw it from the upstairs window. Please tell me that didn't just happen." Belle pleaded.

"I'm sorry, Belle." Mal said quietly.

She put a hand to her mouth, burying her face in Adam's shoulder. "Oh God, Azalea."

"Your Majesties," Jane stepped forward. "What..." She swallowed harshly. "What happened to Azalea?"

Belle let out a small whimper and Adam sighed. "The pictures will be everywhere soon enough." He said sadly. "Get your friends here. I think you all deserve an explanation."