chapter two

willow's pov

i look over at mom. she sheds a single tear. she gets up from the couch and walks up to her room.

"i'll be right back" my dad says quietly with a slight voice crack at the end of his sentence. i can tell he's trying to stop himself from crying.

i look over at haymitch and he looks at the 3 of us. rye is shedding tears here and there. haymitch goes over to him and hugs him.

at this point i had zoned out. i was staring at the wall and had blocked everything out. i walked out of the living room and to my room.

i walk into my room almost bumping into walls. everything feels as if it's in slow motion. my breathing is getting faster and heavier. i found my way to my bed and sat at the edge.

i know what this means. it's rye against district 12's first victor's- however they're related. he's 14 years old and the only one in his family who fits into the age group. if dahlia gets picked, i'm going to volunteer. i can just hope rye doesn't get picked.

rye would never survive in there. he knows nothing about hunting or healing. dahlia hasn't hunted in years, i doubt she remembers it. and if she does, the careers would get to her. she wouldn't be able to fight them off. not with the simple hunting skills she knows about. i'm the hunter. i'm the one who's been in the woods the most.

i hadn't noticed i was crying until haymtich came into my room and asked me if i was okay. i simply nodded and he wiped away my tears.

"you're going to be okay." he tells me. he kisses my forehead and walks out of my room. i lower my head and look at my hands. they're intertwined and lay on top of my lap. dahlia walks into my room after a few minutes.

"willow?" she says quietly. i look up at her. "i'm scared" she says quietly and soon starts crying. i hold out my arms and she walks towards me. she practically falls into them. i put my hand on the back of her head and play with her hair as she cries into my chest.

"me too." i say quietly. i hold her tighter. once she stops crying she looks at me. "you and rye are going to be okay"

"what about you?"

"i don't know"

"are you going to volunteer?"

"only if i have to" she gives me a look as if to say "why". but i only say, "come on, i can make some cake."

i walk downstairs with dahlia. she sits on a chair thats by the kitchen island. i take out the ingredients from the cupboards.

my mom and dad walk downstairs. both of their faces are red and i can tell they've been crying but i'm not going to point it out.

"what are you making" mom asks me as i pour the ingredients into one bowl. i'm surprised she's even talking. dad must have talked some sense into her. he probably said something like "i know you're upset but we aren't the ones in danger of getting reaped. the kids are. we have to be strong for them."

"cake" i answer back. we always made cake when something was bothering us. when mom had really bad nightmares, dad would end up making a cake. once the cake is finished i leave it on the counter for them to take a piece of it.