chapter twelve

willow's pov

i wake up and my mouth is dry. we need water. i look over to finn who's laying next to me. he looks over at me. "we need to get water," i say, standing up. he nods. i strap my quiver on my back. once finn has stood up, i grab the sleeping bag and stuff into my backpack. i strap the backpack onto my belt and grab my bow from the ground.

i look over to finn who has his backpack on his back and he's holding his trident in his right hand. "lets go," he says, walking in front of me and out of the cave. i try to memorize the path to the lake so we can head back to the cave right after.

when we get to the lake, it takes a few more jabs than last time to get the ice to break. "why is this so hard to break?" finn says as he jabs at the ice one last time before it breaks. "it's starting to thicken," i say as i sit down on the floor to take out my canteen. i grab my canteen and i realize i have ivy's canteen too.

i look at the canteen for a moment before emerging it into the water and letting the water flow in. i do the same with my canteen and i see finn emerge his canteen into the water next to me. i'm starting to bring my canteen out of the water when i hear a cannonball and i jump, splashing a bit of water on my pants.

that cannonball is crucial to hear everytime. i heard it when my best friend died and i heard it when june died. when june died, it felt like my sister had died. "are you okay?" finn says as he looks over at me. "yea, let's just get out of here," i say as i close both canteens and stuff them into the backpack.

"what about the iodine?" he looks at me confused. "let's just do it in the cave. i don't want to be out in the open any longer." that's when i hear shuffling from across the lake and i see jet from district 1. my breath hitches when i see him.

i grab finn's hand when i start to run but finn soon falls on the floor. i look over at him and see that jet had thrown a knife into the back of his leg. i grab an arrow and shoot it at jet. it pierces through his chest, straight through his heart. the cannonball goes off to symbolize his death and i kneel next to finn.

i look over at his leg and finn reaches his hand back and takes the knife out. he groans in pain. "no, why did you take it out," i say. any of his blood vessels that were cut and blocked by the knife, are bleeding now. i examine the cut. it isn't that deep. i help finn up and he's struggling to walk. once we get to the cave, i have him lean on the wall while i get a sleeping bag out.

i lay it on the the ground. "lay on your stomach," i say to finn. he limps over to the sleeping bag and lays on it. i take out the other sleeping bag and clean the knife on the inside of the sleeping bag. i lift finn's pant leg above the cut and i cut a part of the sleeping bag.

i place the part of the sleeping bag onto the cut and put pressure on it. i hear him groan. after a few minutes, i lift the piece off of the cut and i see that the bleeding has stopped. i throw the piece to the side and i grab the extra canteen of water.

i drop iodine into the water and close the canteen back up so the water can purify. i sit down against the wall next to finn. his arms are crossed on the floor and his head is laying on his arms. he turns his head over to me. "like i said before, i'd be screwed without you,"

i let out a sigh. "i'm letting the water purify so i can clean your cut. it's going to burn," i tell him looking over at him. "i didn't know you could be such a doctor." i shrug my shoulders. i look over to the opening. i stand up, grab a somewhat large rock that's in the corner and put it through the opening so it covers the cave.

it gets almost completely dark in the cave until i grab the flashlight and turn it on. i see a part of the cave at the top that loops like a circle from the ceiling, down, and back up. i grab a rope from my backpack and put it through the loop. i tie the flashlight onto one side of the rope and tie that side of the rope onto the other side of the rope.

it works like a ceiling light and provides most of the cave with light. once i feel like enough time has passed, i open up the canteen that i put iodine into. i cut another piece of the sleeping bag and walk over to finn. i kneel down next to his leg and pour water onto the cut.

i hear his breath hitch. i clean the water with the sleeping bag. "i can't do anything else. not without the right materials and i'm definitely not going to get anything i need in the woods." i see him nod. that's when i hear rumbling that seems to be coming from the top of the mountain.

"avalanche"