𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. 𝐋𝐮𝐜𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐡

TWO PRIVATES FOUND THEM, as they carried Tom's body to the water

TWO PRIVATES FOUND THEM, as they carried Tom's body to the water. They quickly assisted the two, and gave their condolences.

After they set him down, Will kneels beside him. Juliana remains standing, and places her hand on Will's right shoulder. As they stare at Tom's lifeless body, guilt started to grow in the pit of the nurse's stomach. She shifts from one foot to the other in uneasiness and looks away. She removes her hand from Will's shoulder which causes him to look up. He sees her cross her arms over her chest and step back.

It couldn't have been more fitting, for white cherry blossoms began to fall around Tom. Will grabs some petals and sighs.

-"A friend?" They hear a gentle and low voice ask. Juliana turns to see an Officer eyeing Tom. Will nods in response, and the Officers face holds a knowing look. Juliana eyes him as he walks over to her.

-"What are you doing here?" He asked the young lady. He puts his hands behind his back as he waits for a response.

-"We have an urgent message for the 2nd Devons. Orders to stop tomorrow morning's attack." She answers quietly, unfolding her arms in the process.

-"Where are they stationed?"

-"Just beyond Ecoust." She points in the direction they must go. The officer nods and motions for her and Will to follow him.

-"Come with me." He instructs them, as he heads back to the farm house. Juliana lingers behind. She watches Will remain still at Tom's side.

"Come with me, Corporal. That's an order." The officer speaks with authority, causing Will to look up. He meets Juliana's eyes, and she tells him to come along. He nods before looking back down at Tom, one last time.

"We're passing through Ecoust. We can take you some of the way." The Officer speaks as he steps forward. He occasionally looks over his make to sure that he's being followed. 

-"Thank you, Sir." Will speaks, before wiping his bloody hands on the grass. He stands and slowly removes his eyes from Tom. He collects his rifle and helmet from one of the Privates and Juliana gets her bag from the other. She quickly picks up her helmet, then follows the Officer through the farmhouse and back outside.

A small train of four trucks idle on the road, all caked in mud and battered from their journey. Soldiers stand around, smoking or stretching their legs. There must have been a few dozen of them or more.

At the head of the train is an Officer's car. Exhaust fumes swirl in the still air, and Juliana covers her nose to prevent breathing in the fowl smell.

-"Oh, come on Sergeant. Put more men at the base. At the trunk! It'll be heavier there..."

They hear another man shout. The trucks are filled completely with men. Each is covered in mud and looking exhausted.