Merman x hydrophobic!male!Reader

please leave requests because I'd have something to do

2.7K words

warning:  aggression, and panic attacks

-----

Second person POV:

You were never the type to love water. Well, it wasn't like you hated water, you're just afraid of it. The water coming nearby your body terrified you as a child. Ever since your family shared the legend of the sea, you had refused to go near any natural water. 

"It's just a story, get over it! Crybaby.." 

"(y/n)'s such a wimp!" 

"Suck it up and get over it, you're a man, not a boy."

You had heard it all. Normally from people who you trusted and cared about. You knew that most of them were just trying to comfort you, to get you over your fears, but nothing helped. Even now, you were still horrified by the gentle waves that were inches away from your feet. The sand dusting your (s/c) skin lightly while your friends giggled and played in the lake's cold water. You wished to join them in their fun but can't move your body towards the lake willingly. 

"(Y/N)!!!! COME ON!! JOIN US!!" Jess yelled out to you. You glanced up at the group as they ran towards you quickly. You sweatdropped but yelled back, "I'm good!". "I'm not gonna let you just sulk way over here, come on, we're getting you into the water right here and now." Oli cheered excitedly while Jess let out a few words of 'encouragement'. None of them knew about your fear.

"I-I think I'm good- hey!" You were interrupted by Oli's strong arms wrapping around your waist and picking your (f/s) body off of the ground. "Put me down!" Oli chuckled and ignored you as you thrashed around, panicking. "OLI!!" You screamed once you felt a cold liquid flow on your toes. Oli continued walking into the water, Jess and Lily already running into the water. You felt petrified. You couldn't seem to breathe anymore while the water gradually gets deeper, your vision closing as well. Fear overwhelming your body in a freezing way. You're no longer feeling in control of anything. 

Oli didn't notice your state until you both shoulder-deep into the lake's water. "h-hey, (y/n)? Are you okay?" the words fell upon deaf ears. Your deaf ears. 

Shaking in his arms, your body unable to process anything but the utter fear inside. The water feels cold, almost too cold, yet you cold barely see beneath the glassy surface. You could see the faint reflection of green scales swim swiftly past. It was large. It was too large. You only felt scared. Only scared... right?

For some reason, you felt the panic attack fading. (e/c) sore from the unnoticed crying, your shaking eventually stopping, your breath returning to normal after gasping for so long. "(y/n)?" Oli's voice asked, breaking you out of your thoughts. You turned around to face him. Oli's chocolatey skin wet from the water but his face was still vividly concerned. "Are you okay? You haven't been responding and- are you crying?" 

"I-I'm fine, just... a bit scared. That's all." You whispered quietly. Your voice was shallow and shaky, yet you tried to reassure Oli that you're fine. He seemed suspicious still but didn't want to push further. "Can you take me back to the shore?" you asked politely.

Oli nodded and smiled, happy that you didn't seem to be mad at him. He took you to the shoreline once again while Jess and Lily hesitantly went back to talking. You couldn't deny how good the cool relief over your heated skin had felt. The water sucked, but the heat can easily become just as fearful when overlapped. You didn't mind the heat too much though. That's why the night's graceful breezes sent shiver down your spine, the cold wind seem to freeze your skin at a simple touch, so you went outside.