Chapter 20

"Sora, we're running out of time! Start powering up this thing!"

"Just one more little spark." Sora fetches his spare volt sparkers from his pocket and slaps them onto the powerbox. With one switch on, the engines begin to fire. The rusty wings creak until they spread out for the use of flight. Before the kids know it, they are in lift off. It's a slow lift off, but they have enough time to get out of the way out of the flames and volcanic action.

"Yes! Sora, we are so outta this joint!"

"Aye, aye, Captain!" Sora pushes the throttle to full as Vuela spins the wheel, aiming the ship towards the portal's border.

She calls out, "Destination Gloire Fidèle, full speed ahead!"

"Please avoid anything that'll kill us, please!"

"Oh, you're the worried one now."

"This is not the time to joke around, princess."

"Ah, there you kids are." The voice makes both of them jump out of their skins. Savage climbs over the side of the ship, gasping for breath. Once composed, she struts towards them. "I couldn't expect anything less from you two when it comes to escapes."

Sora pushes Vuela back to concentrating on the operation of the craft and transforms his mechanical harm into the gun.

Of course, the pirate's friendly, cocky grin disappears yet again.

"Stay away from her!" he screams at the top of his worn out lungs.

Latimore Savage bows her head down. When she lifts it up again, the kids only see darkness in her eyes. "I liked you kids. Honest to God, I did. However, if you think that's gonna stand in between me and my source of freedom, you have another thing comin' to ya."

"Sora, don't," demands Vuela. "We don't stand a chance."

"Stand back, Vuela!" he shouts with greater command.

"Sora!"

"I said, "Back!""

Out from the highest point of the room's ceiling, a beam of plasma shoots down and pierces the starboard side of the vessel. All three of its passengers are tossed off the port side. Savage's able to grab the boat to stabilize herself and regain possession of the treasure. Sora plants himself onto the ground. Vuela skids off the newly formed ledge, all thanks to the splitting earth. She smacks into the opposite wall, grabbing the ledges for her life.

It bubbles tremendously down below. The treasure scraps from the old boat that fall fast are toasted into smoke. She sees the red liquid and solid mix rising slowly and surely, and her heart tells her to get the hell out of there or else she's going to join the unfortunate pirates who die for the sake of the legendary goods.

"Vuela, take my hand!" commands Sora as he stretches his mechanical arm as far as it can.

The girl reaches in return but to no avail. "I can't! The gap is too wide!"

The piece of earth Vuela grips onto for dear life snaps off. Quickly, she latches on to another ledge, but she knows it won't stand her weight, which is obviously lighter than everyone else's. The lava flows closer to her feet, and she senses the burning heat crawl over her skin and clothes.

Will it end like this? Is she the next to die in this world?

Who will Sora pledge his apologies to? Her grave?

Max won't have anyone else. He doesn't have anyone else already. He lost his own mother. He lost their father. What will he do when he hears that his sister, his only other blood relative, has fallen into the vat of no return?