Chapter 21

The explosions fade away and crashing waves take place instead.

But those waves are oh-too-familiar. Vuela's ears twitch at the waves that can only belong to the waters of Bottle-Nose Coast.

Is she in Heaven?

Is this what Heaven sounds like?

No. This is what home sounds like.

Her nose twitches to the sweet smell of sea salt.

Vuela is finally home!

The shining city is right in front of her, yes. It's night, of course, but the glow of the moon can't make Vuela's home island any brighter. As she soars over the Fidèle's top deck, she lets out the happiest victory screech she has ever screamed.

The rest of the possé returns the call, praising Vuela for her wits, her courage, and most relevantly, her heroism.

Instead of the one witnessing lives being taken and taking lives herself, Vuela has saved five of them. Five she has grown to care about.

Vuela flies down to the deck and high-fived Ms. Savage, who waits for the girl to come back to the flat ground. Vuela flies right past her, but Savage is too relieved, proud, and happy to have her land exactly next to her.

"Didn't I tell you that the girl had greatness in her?" she calls out to everyone else.

Vuela spots Sora waving her down. Instead of parking it, she scoops his lightweight body onto the ride and loops in circles around the spot where Sora has been standing. Vuela's warm hands latch onto Sora's face, and she pulls him in for the longest kiss Vuela has been wanting to give him since the night Sora told her how he really feels about her. Even after all of the lies and the nonsense in between the confession to that moment, Vuela is going to show Sora how he means to her.

When Vuela lets Sora go, she can't help but giggle at his stupidly shocked face. "Give me a break, Gates. We almost died."

Before she can say anything else, Sora pulls her in for another. "You don't need to explain yourself."

"Master!" calls Copper, causing Vuela and Sora to stop their romantic passions. "The Captain wants to speak with you. Please come to the control room."

Vuela observes his demeanor, and she assumes that it must've been good news. She, with Sora following next to her, enter the control room where Celia is trying to regain her composure, and the Captain is trying to stand up straight, despite her injury. Vuela straightens herself as she stares Kujo in the eyes, ready to hear what she has to say.

"Vuela Hawkins. That dangerous stunt could've killed us all, and that is something I never could get myself to do no matter the stakes."

That statement makes Vuela shiver unexpectedly.

Then, Captain Delilah Kujo slowly grins from cheek to cheek. "Your courage is unmatchable, and you have saved us all."

"Even if San Martín's treasure is lost?"

"Hawkins, victory is not defined by how much riches are to be received. The victory we earned today is the proof of the treasure's existence and the survival of its trials and traps. Also, if it wasn't for your new Android friend, we would have not been able to get back our Gloire Fidèle. We have whoever is left of the mutiny party entrapped in the galley. Because of you, we have a bunch of stories to tell. You'll change the history books, Hawkins. With that said..."

Kujo unclips one of her medals from her Captain's jacket and cups it in her hands, showcasing it to the girl as if it's in a case. "A hero of the public and a friend to the military deserves a token of our gratitude. Please take this medal, Vuela Hawkins, and hold your head high as you wear it from this day forward."