Intro

Introduction:

Sūrat al-Kawthar (Abundance") is the 108th sura of theQur'an, and the shortest. There are several differing opinions as to the circumstances under which it was revealed. According to Ibn Ishaq, it was revealed in Makka, some time before the Isra and Miraj

Dr Fadil Hassaan ar-Ra'i (scholar of Qur'an studies): It is a Makki surah (revealed in Makkah) and it is of the greatest surahs' which shows the favours of Allah upon His Messenger Muhammad.

This surah is dedicated to what Allah gave to him in this life and the next (al kawthar - the abundance).

This is consistent with similar previous surahs' which show Prophet Muhammad should be grateful to his Master for the favours he recieves from Him.

(i.e. Ayah 1 is the favour in this surah and Ayah 2 is a command for thankfulness).

And the surah concludes a condemnation for the enemies of Allah's Messenger, and it elaborates that they will be completely cut off from all good in this life and the next.

As for the Messenger is concerned - Allah has elevated him in this world, and has given to him what he is worthy of,

In Ayah 3 abtar = cut off from any form of good. There is no good left in this person.

Batr (cut off), baatir, bateer, but Abtar (afdal ul tafdeel) - is a very strong form of noun which is used.

We will find out this meaning in further depth later in the tafseer insha' Allah.

Coherence of this Surah with the Previous Surah:

ar-Razi: in the previous surah Ma'un, Allah gives us 4 attributes describing the hypocrites. one of the things is trhe hypocritical behaviour;

1- Bukhl - greed/miserliness and pushing the orphan away and not encouraging feeding the poor.

Because otherwise people will ask him why he doesn't feed the poor himself, so he doesn't encourage it. Extreme state of miserliness because he sees the poor around him but due to greed and fear of losing his respect, he does not encourage feeding them.

2 - Abandonment/Delaying of Prayer/Salah. sahoon - Sahwa - forget something when it doesn't seem important to them.

He delays the prayer near the time of its end and rushingly prays it then, or he doesn't care if he misses it.

Be cheap, be heedless and delay or abandon the prayer, and third;

3 - Showing off in Prayers (yura'oon) - so people see them.

4 - They are Not even willing to Give the smallest acts of charity. I.e. Zakah etc. Or small items like a water, a bucket, salt, sugar, a pen etc.

Ma'un = the item which you're not supposed to refuse, ever. Something like a glass of water. But they even refuse that much.

How does he Relate them 4 attributes in surah Ma'un to Surah Kawthar?

In comparison to them attributes in that surah, Allah mentions 4 positive attributes in this surah;

1 - Bukhl/miserliness in that surah, to ayah 1 of this surah - Allah has given ALOT (a'ta), so because Allah gives alot, you should also give alot.

If you are given alot from Allah, you should also give alot to the needy.

2 - In surah Ma'un - they don't care about the prayer = Sahoon. In this surah; fa sallee [so Pray] -Allah is commanding for His Messenger and the believers to be constant/consistent in prayer.

3 - In surah Ma'un - they; Yura'oon - show off in prayer.

In this surah - Pray - Li Rabbika (for your Master) - a matter of Sincerety.

4 - Surah Ma'un - they would not give the smallest amount of charity to anyone.

In this surah; Allah orders - waNhar - and sacrifice. Which costs money. Part of the sacrifice involves giving some of the meat in charity. Which removes miserliness and greed.

The comparison beautifies the relation between the lessons of the surahs is appreciated.

Allah says;

إِنَّ شَانِئَكَ هُوَ الْأَبْتَرُ -

inna shaani'aka huwa al abtar -
Surely your enemies are the ones cut off. (ayah 3 of Kawthar)

All the descriptions given of the character in surah Ma'un are the Abtar (those cut off from all good).