Ayah 1

Ayah 1:

إِنَّا أَعْطَيْنَاكَ الْكَوْثَرَ

Inna aAAtaynaka al kawthar

Indeed, We have granted you, [O Muhammad], al-Kawthar.

What is;

al Kawthar: the Abundant Good (khayr al katheer).

al Kawthar = The river in Paradise, and a pond on Judgment Day which Allah’s Messenger will give water to from his followers before the entrance into Paradise. They are 2 sources of water.

(many reports of the Salaf (earlier generations) and tafaseer/qur’an explanations hold this view).

Other scholars did not limit it to just the 2 sources of water mentioned. Others mentioned other forms of Abundant Good too.

Tafseer al Kabeer – ar-Razi states:

al Kawthar (the Abundant Good): includes many things.

We will list them below;

1 - Allah did not leave (tawddee’) His Messenger and is not displeased:
مَا وَدَّعَكَ رَبُّكَ وَمَا قَلَىٰ
ma wada'aka Rabka wama qalaa

- Your Lord has neither forsaken you, He has [not] abandoned you, (O Muhammad)- surah Duha 93:3)

qalaaKa – displeased (with) You.

But Allah never said Ka at the end because He did not want to place the word Qalaa ([Allah being] displeased) next to His Messengers’ name.

Allah will not abandon His Messenger.

2

  -وَلَلْآخِرَةُ خَيْرٌ لَّكَ مِنَ الْأُولَىٰ

what is at the end is better for you than the beginning. (Duha 93:4)

3

-وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

- your Master will soon give you so you are satisfied. (Duha 93:5)

This surah in ayah 1 is – إِنَّا أَعْطَيْنَاكَ الْكَوْثَرَ- surely We have given you an Abundance (of good). (Kawthar 108:1)

And what was it that Allah’s Messenger would only be pleased/satisfied with?

“I will not be pleased until all my ummah [nation] is saved from the hellfire.”

This is how much he loved and cared for his followers.

4-

أَلَمْ يَجِدْكَ يَتِيمًا فَآوَىٰ

- Did He not find you an orphan and give you shelter? (Duha 93:6)

5-

وَوَجَدَكَ ضَالًّا فَهَدَىٰ