Epilogue

...5 years later...

I walk out of the airport in Wisconsin, my suitcase rolling behind me as I look for Gwen amongst all of the people. "Anna!" I spin around to see my best friend running towards me, I smile running to her, when we meet in the middle we hug each other, "i've missed you so much" I pull away happily, "I missed you more than you know Gwenny" she links our arms pulling me to a car that's waiting. Once my suitcase is in the backseat I slide into the passenger seat with a sigh, "you ready for bridesmaid duties?" I nod looking at her, "you ready to become a wife?" she grins, "yeah I think I am" I squeeze her hand before she starts the car driving through the familiar Wisconsin streets towards Madison. "I've missed it here" I mumble as I watch the scenery go by, "yeah it's been too long, which is why we decided to have this where it all began" she replies, I rest my head against the window as we fall into a silence for the rest of the car ride to Madison.

Gwen parks the car in front of the hotel where the whole wedding party is staying. "It's weird being here and not going to our house from college" I say as we get out of the car, "definitely" Gwen replies as I grab my stuff out of the trunk. The two of us walk into the hotel and we go to the check in desk to get my room key. We get into the elevator selecting the right floor, "how's work?" I look at Gwen with a smile, "its really good, I'm up for a promotion soon, so hopefully I get it" she squeezes my arm, "that's really great A! i'm sure you'll get it!" I shrug as we get out of the elevator. Gwen drags me down the hall grinning, we stop in front of the right room and she knocks, the door swings open "ANNA!" I smile a Sierra who pulls me into a hug, "it's so great to see you!" I say as we pull away from each other. "Remember tonight is the bachelorette party so be ready at like 7" me and Sierra nod as Gwen walks away to her own room, I walk into mine and Sierra's shared room dropping my bag onto the floor, "this is going to be such a great weekend" I nod as I flop onto the bed, I let out a yawn as I roll onto my back, "wake me when we have to get ready" she laughs and nods. 

+++

A few hours later the four of us are at a fancy restaurant laughing and drinking wine as we reminisce over our college years. "I still can't believe that we made that stupid list and actually finished it" I interject making my friends smile at me, "I don't think it was stupid, it got us out there, and this wedding would probably not be happening if it weren't for that list" Emily exclaims before sipping at her wine, "she's not totally wrong" Gwen adds with a shrug, I smile, "okay so it wasn't stupid, but it was so out of the blue now that I think about it" they all nod as we fall into a comfortable silence. "So what's next on the itinerary?" I ask a few minutes later once we have all finished eating, "I was thinking we just go back to the hotel and have a movie night like we used to in college" Gwen replies making me smile, "that sound perfect" she nods as we pay the bill and leave the restaurant.

Back at the hotel the four of us are in Gwen's room all snuggled up on one of the beds as we flick through the movie options on the TV. I look at my friends with a smile not realizing how much I missed nights like these ones while being in Switzerland. "You good A?" I nod as my gaze moves to Gwen who is checking on me, "i'm perfect I just really missed you guys" they all smile and gather around me as the movie starts playing. Throughout the night we order room service to keep us awake before we eventually succumb to sleep while being sprawled out on the bed.

+++

"Hey Anna can I talk to you about something?" I turn away from the mirror I have set up for my makeup, "yeah sure Gwenny" she smiles as I follow her out of the room where we're all getting ready for the ceremony. "I should tell you that Eli is a groomsman, I think with the order we have you'll be going down the aisle with him at the end" I freeze at her words thinking about the hockey player I fell in love with all of those years ago, "you're serious?" she nods looking worried, I smile, "Gwen don't worry it's fine, I know that him and Graham are really close i'll be fine" she pulls me into a hug, "I love you" I squeeze her, "love you more babe" we pull away before going back to the room to finish getting ready. My smile falls from my face as I try to process the idea of seeing Eli again, wondering if he hates me or if he forgot about me, when I feel my thoughts spiralling out of control I shake my head and focus back on doing my makeup and hair.

When we arrive at church, the three of us help Gwen out of the car and we rush into the building to get her veil in place before the ceremony. "Okay this is going to be great Gwenny, we're here for you no matter what" she nods with a grin on her face, I kiss her cheek gently before getting in place waiting for the doors to open. I hear the music start so I take a deep breath before the doors open for everyone to see me, I hold my bouquet and smile as I walk down the aisle towards the altar where Graham is waiting. My eyes catch sight of Eli next, I feel the breath get knocked out of me when I realize he's already watching me, I blush slightly looking away from him as I compose myself and make my way to the place i'm needed just like we practiced hours earlier. Emily and Sierra come stand next to me, I smile at them as we turn our gaze back to the aisle where Gwen is walking with her dad. As she approaches us I feel tears welling up in my eyes, I bring a hand up stopping the tear with my finger not wanting to ruin my makeup. 

+++

Once the reception rolls around i'm exhausted as I watch couples dancing, sitting at my assigned table with a champagne flute in my hand. "Anna" I turn to the voice seeing Eli looking down at me with his hands in his pockets, "hey" he smiles, "can I sit?" I nod and turn to him fully placing my glass on the table. When he's sitting I take a second to sweep my eyes along him, "I've never seen your hair this short" he laughs bringing his hand up to run his fingers through his blond hair, "yeah I guess I got tired of the upkeep" I smile, "well it looks really good" he nods and a silence falls between us. "You look really great" I blush as my fingers fidget with the fabric of my dress, "thank you" he shrugs as if its no big deal even though my stomach is full of butterflies at the compliment, "how's the NHL life?" I ask he smiles, "it was hard at first, but now it's better" he replies, "i'm sure you're lighting up the league, that's what i've been seeing at least" his expression changes to one i've never seen, "you've been watching?" I nod, "of course, I couldn't imagine missing any second" he smiles before looking down at his hands, "you know, every game I play, I go into it hoping that you're watching" I grow silent at his statement shocked that I was in his thoughts all of these years. He looks up after a few seconds, "I know that's crazy because at the beginning of my career I had no idea what you were doing, but I needed something to keep me grounded" I smile at the hockey player, "want to dance with me?" he looks at me confused about my subject change, I stand up and hold my hand out to him while gesturing to the dance floor. Eli stands up sliding his hand into mine before I tug him into the crowd of couples, my arms go around his neck loosely as his hands go to my waist. 

After a few minutes of swaying in silence I speak softly, "so i'm up for a promotion at work" he nods while looking at me, "if I get it i'm getting sent to work at the Columbus office" his grip on me tightens, "like in the U.S.?" I giggle, "yes what other Columbus would I be talking about" he grins pulling me into a hug. I relax into his familiar grasp for a few seconds before pulling away slightly to see his face, "we would be in the same city again" he nods while bringing a hand up to my cheek moving his thumb along my skin gently, "what are you trying to say Anna?" I shrug, "I don't know, maybe we could give us a go again, since i'll be sticking around this time around" he frowns, "nah i'm good I think I like being a bachelor" I look at him with wide eyes my mouth open in shock, he suddenly grins, "i'm just kidding I would love that" I shove his shoulder and he laughs, "that was so mean, I hate you so much" he smiles down at me, "no you don't" I sigh, "you're right I could never hate you" he pulls me closer before lowering his head to press his lips to mine. In the middle of the crowded dance floor at my best friend's wedding in this moment I realize that sometimes letting a person go needs to happen. It may not feel good in the beginning but finding your way back to that person holds so much more meaning in the end. Eli ended up being that person, we needed to be apart in order to be together.

A/N Okay its OVER OVER, you guys rock! thanks for reading and following along through Anna and Eli's journey! <3