numbers

322,013. That was the number Gerard had tattooed on his left arm. He had been told all of his life that his soulmate was out there with the exact same number on their right arm. As he got older he began doubting that they were out there. The universe had branded him and someone else with this number, surely it would also bring them together somehow. Of course, the universe worked in mysterious ways.

Gerard had gone back to Jersey for a weekend to visit his brother in college, at his brother's demand of course. He kept telling Gerard that he had a surprise for him, and in typical Mikey fashion, no hints were allowed.

Mikey met Gerard at the airport and drove him straight to his dorm. "Shouldn't I stop to drop off my stuff at Mom and Dad's?" Gerard asked. "You can do that later," Mikey said, keeping his eyes on the road, "your surprise can't wait."

Gerard rolled his eyes and looked out at the rainy roadside. Before long, they had arrived at Mikey's dorm building.

"Mikes, can you please tell me what my surprise is now?" Gerard whined. Mikey rolled his eyes, "What's your number again?"

"322,013 and it's on my left arm," Gerard said, "c'mon Mikes, you know that."

"Mhm, I was just making sure."

"Does this have something to do with my soulmate?"

Mikey was quiet. Gerard's eyes widened. "Mikey did you find them?" Mikey stayed quiet and pushed his glasses up his nose. "Mikes did you find them?"

"Hey you dyed your hair." Gerard rolled his eyes, "Yeah I did, its black now just like magic, Mikey did you fucking find them?"

"We're here." Mikey said, stopping at a door. He knocked on it and it swung open.

"Hey Frank, this is my brother Gerard, Gerard this is my roommate, Frank." Gerard waved awkwardly at the short man standing in the doorway. He had hair that was black on the top and shaved and dyed red on the sides. He had on a red t-shirt that someone had written "homophobia is gay" in pemanant marker on, leaving his arms exposed dispite the November chill.

Then his number caught his eye. It was on his right arm, which was already a good sign for Gerard. Then, he realized what the number was. 322,013.

"Oh my god," he whispered. Mikey broke into a smile, "Gee, why don't you shed all those layers and show Frank your number?"

Gerard shoved off his coat and rolled up his left sleeve to show the matching number on his forearm. Frank's eyes went wide and they both broke into grins.

Gerard tackled Frank into a hug and smiled. He hadn't been this happy in a while.

"Thank you Mikes, for making me come." Gerard said, finally letting go of his new found soulmate. "No problem," Mikey said with a smirk, "I knew you'd like it."