Chapter 5: Please Stay

"Minho. What was that?"

Maybe if the recent events hadn't have happened, my stomach wouldn't churn and tumble in the way it was right now. I felt a strange nausea build up within me as I closed my eyes, hoping that when I opened them I would wake up from a dream. It was nothing though. A hug and a kiss on the forehead meant nothing. Unless you had a boyfriend.. unless Thomas' persuasive words had been heard by more ears than your own. The thought made me wilt like a flower being heavily rained on. Neither me or Minho had turned around since we had heard Newt behind us. Maybe both wishing that the roar of the fire and the shouting and laughing of the boys that surrounded us might make him think we hadn't heard. But although Minho still had his arm around me he had noticeably shuffled away a little and he was obviously tensed up, waiting for what happened next. Maybe knowing what he was thinking would help but now wasn't the exact time to ask.

"I know you heard me." The knot in my stomached tightened.

"Oh, Newt. Hello." An awkward silence floated between us as he narrowed his eyes at me, also thinking of the next move to make. Say something, just say something I thought. I couldn't handle the suspense building like a thick wall. 

"Either of you gonna answer my question then? Maybe you?" Newt's voice was filled with annoyance as he shifted his eyes to Minho. He couldn't look him in the eye and the lack of eye contact confirmed that Thomas had got to him. For a second I was annoyed that Minho couldn't even come up with anything to help but I remembered how close they were and I knew some type of guilt was gnawing at him. I pushed Minho's arm off me and stood to face Newt. I couldn't deal with the waiting any longer.

"Newt," I laughed but it had no humour behind it, "Why are you making a problem of this? You know me and Minho are close friends don't overreact." I tried to make it seem so casual but I felt a shiver down my spine and a bad feeling place itself in my gut.

"Yeah because I do that to all my close friends. Ooh Ben let me just give you a kiss and cuddle by the fire," he said mockingly. I felt a slight anger rise in me, I'd never heard him talk so spitefully but part of me couldn't blame him. 

"Yeah well he was just making me feel better," I snapped back, my arms folding over my chest.

"How about using words to make you feel better? Or how about coming to me because that kind of makes sense." 

"Well I can't go to you if you're the one making me feel like this," I said it, regretted it but couldn't take it back. I didn't want this conversation to happen like this but there was nothing I could do now, the fire of an argument already flickered between us. 

"Me?" He scoffed, "You really blame me for this?" He stepped closer to me, confusion and anger clouding his eyes, "To me, it looks like you're the one doing the wrong." I almost questioned why he wasn't having a go at Minho but I didn't want to throw him completely under the bus to save myself an argument.

"It's not even deep. It's a kiss on the forehead," I was using my hands to speak now as well, leaning closer to him, exaggerating my words, making sure he knew I was annoyed, "Maybe if you actually gave a clunk about me anymore I wouldn't be here. Maybe if you showed that you still cared I would have come to you. But, NO! You're off somewhere, not even bothering to look for me when I go missing. You haven't even spoken to me for days!" 

"You're questioning if I care about you? Of course I care about you!You have been the most important thing to me since a year and a half ago when I helped you out of that box." He pointed over to the box as his voice rose with each word, "How can you say that?" I saw the pain in his eyes, heard the hitch in his voice as it cracked with tears that formed in the corners of his eyes. I was too in my argument mode to completely notice.

"You barely talk to me Newt! Like just tell me if something's wrong if something's wrong. Don't ignore me!" I turned, running my hands through my hair. "I speak to Thomas more than I speak to you," I muttered angrily. I didn't know or care if he heard until I looked up and saw his face. I knew he heard and I knew I cared. Those words had changed something in him, pushing any sadness and pain that he felt to the pits of his being, allowing the flames of anger to rise.

"Oh," he laughed for a second as if something had all come together, "And don't think I haven't heard the whispers. I've heard what he's been doing and I know what you've been thinking." He nodded to himself and I felt my heart sinking. The rest of the boys were watching now, their attentions gained by the shouting and commotion. Everyone watching. Some aware and whispering about what Newt had said; Thomas had been sharing his opinions. The other boys stood confused at his words, clearly not entirely sure of what it all meant. Newt had turned away from me and a strange silence had filled the glade, only the occasional whistle of wind or animal noise to slice through the air. I felt tears sting my eyes but I kept them closed for a second, holding back the tears. I couldn't cry. Even though all the worries that had consumed my thoughts were coming true, I couldn't cry. I tried to brush it off unsure of what else to do.

"Newt what are you talking abo-" I was cut off by him whipping his whole body around to be only inches away from my face.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about!.. I see it in your eyes," The sadness had dripped slightly back into his eyes, a hollow pain that seemed to fill him. It was so different to the calm and optimistic atmosphere he usually gave off. Had I done this to him? Was I the only one to blame? "You didn't even tell me what was going on."

"Thomas wasn't doing it hurt you," Minho interrupted the silence.

"Shut your shucking face!" Newt spat at Minho and he slumped back down onto the log. I knew he wasn't scared of him but he was done intervening. He did care about Newt and maybe talking to him when he was this angry wasn't a good idea. "You haven't even got anything to say," He looked at me, disappointed. 

"I was just thinking, I was gonna say-" He cut me off again.

"Stop! Just stop," he quietened down, "Please." The pain had clearly bubbled right up at this point. He turned and walked away, "Don't follow me. Don't come and see me tonight or any other night." I saw the fire reflect off the tears that finally fell and as he walked away. I felt mine do the same.

"Wait. Please stay." I was too quiet and he was too far away to hear. I tried to walk after him but I stumbled down, the pain finally bubbling up and weighing me to the floor where I sat and sobbed.