Chapter 8: The Rock

Minho's POV 

After running for about 40 minutes, usually in silence looking around the maze, sometimes laughing or playfully shoving each other, we decided to stop and climb a little up the wall to a large slab of rock that jutted out. It was a place we used to go when I would run with her. We stopped running together because we got distracted talking and our mapping became sloppy. I don't think Newt was so fond of us spending all that time alone together either, I guess I couldn't blame him. We got to the rock and sat next to each other, facing the golden glow of the setting sun. As much as I hated the maze, it could look beautiful sometimes, with its sheer size and sunlight bouncing off the ivy leaves. I don't know what had gotten me so soppy until I looked at (y/n), her eyes were shut as she soaked up the remnants of the sun, the light capturing her perfectly. 

"Amazing, isn't it?" She smiled into the warmth.

"More than an amazing," I said, still looking at her. She opened her eyes and caught me looking at her, I played it off by smiling back at her as if I had only just turned around. We continued to look at each for a moment. Then another. There was this strange energy that seemed to suddenly connect but I felt my cheeks flush with heat and I broke it by turning back to the sun. Hopefully, she hadn't noticed because I shouldn't even be thinking about things like that. There were bigger things to worry about: the maze, getting out, and Newt. 

"Doors close in about an hour or so," I muttered, looking down at my watch. 

"We have time then," she shuffled a little closer to me, so casually. I was shocked and I couldn't tell if she wanted me to do something or ignore  it. Maybe she was just getting comfy but what's the harm in shooting the shot? No one was here anyway, no one would even find out if that's what we wanted. I put my arm round her shoulder and she accepted it, resting her head on my shoulder. I looked down at her, desperately wanting to know what she was thinking. 

"So how are you feeling?" I spoke softly, I knew it was a sensitive subject. She frowned slightly, as if piecing together what she wanted to say.

"I know how I feel about Newt but it just got difficult. Part of me feels so free but part of me feels like I was meant to be in the bubble of my life with him. Part of me wants to see what else is out there but part of me just wants him. I almost hate myself for being this confusing. For myself, Newt and anyone else. It sucks," she sighed and closed her eyes for a second, maybe holding back tears but I couldn't tell. 

"You shouldn't hate yourself at all. You can't help how you feel or what you want or being confused. And if anyone blames you for that then they can come and say that to me and we'll see what happens," I was being serious but she let out a little laugh. I smiled back.

"Thank you, it does mean a lot," she whispered. There was a short moment of silence while I decided whether to ask what I really wanted to ask.

"So there are other people you're interested in?" I was looking at her, and as she went to answer she looked up at me, our faces only inches apart.

"I-" she didn't seem to know what to say but it was okay because there was something in the atmosphere that spoke for her. I looked down at her lips as I noticed a light blush on her face. I couldn't have even guessed that this would be happening a few days ago. But here we are. I felt my heart race speed up, a feeling of pure excitement filling me. We were so close. Getting closer still. Closer.

"I can't." She pulled back faster than I could have said 'shuck'. She looked away embarrassed.

"What? What happened?" I questioned her, she seemed to have wanted that as much as I did.

"You know why," she sighed in annoyance, "Newt. I'm sorry. I just- it's difficult. I'm gonna go but I want to run alone." She had already started climbing back down the wall, quickly nearing the bottom.

"Wait, wait. You don't have to go, don't just push me away like that," I said frustrated. I understood but my stubborn side didn't like her completely making a fool of me. 

"I'm not pushing you away, I just want to be alone. Respect that at least!" The irritation seemed to be growing in her quickly. She turned and started jogging down the hallway of the maze, away from me. 

"(Y/n) wait," I went to climb down but stopped.

"Minho stop! Let me run alone!" she shouted from the end of the corridor, not looking back but disappearing round the corner. I felt my heart sink a little as I slumped back onto the rock, putting a hand over my face. How had I messed that up so bad? A slight numb feeling rocked back and forth in me but I tried to ignore it, instead just looking at the sun gradually shrinking from view. I had sat there for a few minutes when I heard a gut-wrenching screech of a creature. A noise that sent a cold, sharp fear cracking through you, freezing you from the inside out.

"Minho!!" A familiar scream from somewhere further out in the maze echoed out after, bouncing along the walls. I felt my breath catch in my throat, not able to find it's way out. A sick feeling spread through my chest as I felt my legs weaken. I knew that voice from anywhere. 

(Y/n).

(Y/n)'s POV 

I turned each corner without thinking about it, the way through the maze ingrained from when I ran it for months on end. The last few days buzzed in my head, thoughts of it all clawing through each other and anything that stood in their way. I shook my head, trying to forget it all, maybe think about something else. But I couldn't. It was too much to handle, too much to think about. I didn't want to hurt anyone but to find out what I really wanted, what if I had to hurt someone? What would have happened if I stayed? What would have happened if I kissed him? What would have happened if me and Newt had just stayed together? The different ways this whole situation could have gone overflowed in my head. Too much. It was all too much. I decided to just concentrate on running, getting back to the glade. I hoped Minho didn't wait too long and miss the doors closing for the night. As I looked up to concentrate on my running, I skidded to a stop, almost falling straight to the floor because of what was in front of me. Pure terror pulsed through my veins. 

Glistening wet skin, bubbling and bulbous, squelching as it moved and rubbed against itself. Long metal appendages poking out of the skin. A blade. A saw. A needle. I was sure in that moment my heart stopped. It whirred and clicked towards me, letting out an ear-splitting shriek. I felt each muscle in my body tense in anticipation as it charged towards me.  

Coming right for me. Something I'd never even seen with my own eyes. A griever.

A/n - I wasn't gonns do a note but I just saw this has over 400 reads now so thank you :) x