Chapter 13: I'm Not A Prize

Minho's POV

I had been waiting for Thomas by the map room for over ten minutes now, which wasn't insanely long but I could still feel the impatience growing by the second. I looked at my watch, eager to get out into the maze so we could have the whole day to properly search it again. We had done that already but there was no harm in doing it again. I tapped my foot, frowning until Ben walked past.

"Hey, Ben," I waved my arm at him to get his attention, jogging towards him slightly, "Have you seen Thomas? Shank is late." He gave me a look that I couldn't quite explain and shrugged, turning to walk away. Before he could completely turn, he looked back at me.

"Pretty sure he's by the gardens but um... yeah whatever it doesn't matter," He turned and jogged away before I could even question what he had said. It didn't matter, at least now I knew where he was. What could he even be doing that would make him late? He wanted to get out there more than anyone in the glade, so it made no sense. I shook my head and made my way to the other side of the glade.

I walked through the different fruits and vegetables that made up the gardens, peering over the top to look for Thomas wherever I could. I did a full circle, looking at each of the faces working there, only to realise none of them were him. I realised as well that (y/n) wasn't here, suddenly wanting to find her as well but I pushed it out my mind. She was probably harder to find than Thomas. 

"Zart! Have you seen Thomas, Ben said he was over here," I called to Zart from across a patch of beans which he was digging at.

"Ohh Thomas," he laughed and pointed behind me," he's nearer to the deadheads." I groaned, annoyed that I didn't even think to look there. I nodded him a thanks and walked over, expecting him to be in conversation with someone random or just zoned out, losing track of time. But he wasn't. He was asleep. With (y/n). In his arms.

 I stared down at them and finally understood why both Zart and Ben had acted how they did. I crossed my arms, feeling my face flush red with anger. He was really doing this right now? Was I really that jealous about it? I thought about it for a second and came to the conclusion that yes, I really was that jealous. I stormed over, grabbing Thomas' arm, literally dragging him out of the peaceful sleep he seemed to be having. I watched (y/n) fall to the floor slightly, hoping that it didn't hurt her. When she didn't move, I figured she was still asleep and looked back at Thomas. I jumped back slightly when I saw Thomas staring straight up at me, throwing daggers with his eyes. 

"What the hell are you doing?" 

Thomas' POV

I expected to wake up to (y/n), sharing the warmth that came from rising sun. It's a perfect image, that of course couldn't be real. Instead I woke up to Minho dragging me across the grass of the gardens, a frown seeming to be plastered on his face. I laughed to myself, amused by how bothered he was by what he had seen. He soon looked down at me, shocked by how awake I was. I made sure to angrily look up at him. 

"What the hell are you doing?" I yanked my arm from his grasp, pushing off my feet so I was stood facing him.

"What am I doing? What are you doing?" He hissed, pointing over to (y/n). I laughed at him, noticing how red with anger he was, how green his eyes were with jealousy.

"I can literally see the jealousy in your eyes," I snickered, trying not to laugh but I couldn't help it. 

"Stop! I'm being serious," other people started to look over at us, so he dragged me into the deadheads, finding a small clearing a few metres out. "What actually happened?"

"Look, chill, nothing happened like that. She got scared and asked me to stay and I obviously said yes," I shrugged, I was glad she wanted me there but I knew it probably didn't mean much.

"So the first chance you get, you take it," he crossed his arms again.

"Isn't that what you did? At least I didn't take her out into the maze and nearly get her killed," I regretted what I said almost immediately when I saw a look of pain pass his face, but I didn't take it back. I thought this was gonna be a joke but it seemed to be turning into an actual argument. 

"You really just went there didn't you?" he grumbled, the look of anger seemed to intensify in his eyes and for a second I saw his arm twitch, as if was about to hit me.

"Yeah I did because it's true. You can't be mad at me for doing that when you took her in the maze to kiss her," I scoffed at him, crossing my arms as well, "At least I didn't get rejected." 

"You didn't even try to kiss her, you don't have the balls," he snapped at me, "Anyway I guarantee she'll end up kissing me before you."

"Yeah, you carry on dreaming," I rolled my eyes, fed up of his arrogance, "it's obvious she likes me mo-" I stopped when I saw something shift behind Minho, turning my gaze from him to whatever was behind him. My eyes widened, making Minho turn around, confused by my sudden silence. I saw his arms drop as he turned around, a stunned silence spreading across us as we stood still, hoping what we were seeing wasn't real.

"You gonna finish what you were saying?" (Y/n) was stood there, arms crossed. I could feel the anger radiating from her as she stood there waiting for me to answer. I shook my head, no words seemed to able to come up out my throat and I looked over at Minho, hoping he would save it. Somehow, all his arrogance had disappeared and he looked like a child being scolded by their mother. How much had she heard? As if she could read my expression, she answered the question.

"Oh yeah, I heard pretty much everything. I mean you both might have had a chance but I don't know anymore. I'm not a prize. I'm not something you can win. I'm ashamed you guys are even acting like this... you're supposed to be my friends!" the anger turned slightly to pain. I went to walk over to her but she took a step back. "Just leave me alone for a bit," and with that she turned and left the shaded area of trees. I went to run after her but Minho grabbed my arm, stopping me. He shook his head at me and gave me an apologetic look.

"Just let her go for now." Silence filled the space between us, as we walked to the doors of the maze, a strange tension filling the air. 

(Y/n)'s POV

"I don't even know if I should feel angry!" I sat in Frypan's kitchen, venting to him as he made me a sandwich. He said it would make me feel better which I smiled at, but I knew a sandwich wasn't actually going to solve my problems. 

"I get why you are, part of the reason why they're helping you is just because they like you," he shrugged and I sighed. "But they do care about you a lot, don't think that they're just faking a friendship. I mean, you and Minho have been friends for ages." 

"I know. I will forgive them obviously, I just don't know what to do after that," he turned and gave me a questioning look so I continued, "like I do kind of like both of them. What do I even do about that?" I couldn't deny having feelings for them, and this was the first time I was saying it to someone out loud. I trusted Fry though and I knew he wouldn't go and spread what I said.

"You know, you don't have to choose anyone. There is a life without boys," he smiled at me, "You're a strong girl, and you can definitely get by being independent. Maybe show these other shanks a thing or two." 

"Yeah you're right. Maybe it would be better to stop focusing on it so much," it was hard to do but he had a good point. I could tell he could see how much it was on my mind, how much I stressed about it. 

"I don't know if I should say this but you know I always tell you the truth," he gave me a look that told me to prepare for what he was about to say, I felt a slight tingle of anticipation build up in me. "You were definitely happier with Newt." I looked away from him, feeling a sharp pain run through me. Memories of me and Newt flooded my mind, and I wished so bad to go back to them. I closed my eyes and sighed.

"Yeah.. I was." He placed the food in front of me and smiled, placing his hand on my shoulder for comfort. I managed a smile but I felt my heart become heavy with a dull sadness.