f o u r

"And don't forget, be kind!" the principal boomed before waving his hand to everyone and stepping off the stage. The school had been dismissed from the assembly.

Be kind, Myla scoffed inwardly. Aren't we all just buckets of kindness?

She could still hear her classmates' laughs ringing in her ear, mocking her, scorning her, making a fool out of her. 

Still, she refused to cry. She refused to give in.

"One more week," she whispered to herself. "Give it just one more week before you're done. One more week left."

She sighed and tugged her sleeves until they covered her arms, hiding whatever secrets they hid. It wasn't like she was the only one.

If she was the only one, she was used to being alone.

Myla walked to her next class, biology, clutching her books to her chest. She refused to show any signs of emotion as she passed by her locker, masking her face with a facade of indifference as if it was completely normal for somebody to randomly graffiti her locker.

Once she reached her biology class, Myla sat in her normal seat in the back of the class, where all of the social outcasts usually sat. There was a certain order to where each person sat according to their stereotype in Myla's school. For example, the popular people would always sit in the middle, closer to the front. That way, they wouldn't seem like the nerds, who always sat in the front so that they could pay attention. By sitting in the middle-front, they were showing the teachers that they wanted to learn, but they were also considering the fact of their reputation, where they could not sit in the very front row of the class.

Jocks almost always sat in the middle-back. Nerds always sat in the very front. And all of the social outcasts sat in the back, where they were out of sight, out of mind.

Sometimes, it was easy to imagine how life could have been different if Myla wasn't a social outcast. The truth was, it wasn't the other people in her class who labeled her as a social outcast in the first place.

It was Myla who labeled herself as a social outcast.

Just by isolating herself from everyone else, she was showing that she didn't want to talk. That, in a way, she almost wanted to be shunned out, to be ignored.

It was easy to imagine how life could have been different. If only she had tried, made an effort, to make friends.

If only someone had noticed her.

If only.