e i g h t

The next day, Nick didn't bump into her.

He walked up to her in the middle of lunch, where she was texting someone on her phone in the library. And he sat next to her, looking at her until she looked up.

Myla was weirded out, to say the least.

"What do you want?" she sighed, turning off her phone.

Nick raised a perfect eyebrow, his grey eyes lighting up. "Oh, you're talking to me?" he asked, a hint of amusement in his voice. 

Myla rolled her eyes. "No, I'm not talking to you. I'm lip-synching to another person's voice," she replied sarcastically. "Of course I'm talking to you. You've been sitting at the same table as me for five minutes without insulting me. This has got to be a world record of some sort."

He mimicked her eye roll. "Don't get used to it," he replied. "Just kidding. Get used to it, because you need a friend."

She narrowed her eyes. "I'm not here at school to make friends. I'm here to learn and get the hell out of here."

"C'mon, school is a safe place," Nick tried, pulling out one of the school district's many lies. Myla shot him a pitying glare, shutting him up.

"If this is a safe place, then I would love to know what your definition of an unsafe place," Myla replied, pursing her lips and gluing her eyes back to her phone's screen.

Nick leaned back in his chair. "Well, we're friends now."

"We're not friends," Myla retorted. "Talking for five minutes does not make us friends of any sorts."

"We're friends," Nick countered. "Admit it, you like hanging out with me."

Myla had to admit, this Nick was not the dick that she had expected him to be. "You're a piece of shit. I don't hang out with shit."

Nick gestured to her. "You look like shit."

"Thanks for pointing out the obvious. You could be the next Sherlock Holmes at the rate you're going at," Myla replied sarcastically.

"Thanks. We're going to be great friends," Nick shot back cheerily before stealing her phone from her hands and typing something into it.

Myla groaned. "Give me my phone back."

Nick handed it back to her, a shit-eating grin on his face. "There's my number. You're welcome."

At the top of Myla's contact list was the contact reading: Nick (the hottest guy ever)

"Gee, thanks," Myla stated flatly, changing his contact name to "Nick the Dick."

"You're welcome. Talk to you later!" Nick replied cheekily, standing up and walking out of the library.