chapter nine; playing the cards right.

kenzie's pov:

i sat in the hotel room with my conflicted thoughts, while jenna and alex were out exploring downtown. i obviously had to figure out my feelings, maddie called it playing your cards right. i had to play my cards right somehow, someway. it was just a matter of time. alex had mentioned to jenna and me how he really missed dancing with the primitive cadets, and how they had invited him and well us to the blowout that was happening this saturday night. this whole blowout would determine if alex would move back to dallas or not. it was all complicated but if he moved back to dallas it would be for the best and i could probably end up moving on from him. as i was thinking about everything going on between alex and me, i heard a knock on the door and i went to go open it thinking it was probably jenna and alex coming back from downtown. i reached for the door and opened it as soon as i saw marcel in the doorway, i stood there frozen. well arent you going to at least say hi? he said with a chuckle. hi marcel. i said sarcastically, hows texas going? he said letting himself in. well, its going great! i said faking the excitement while closing the door behind me. why are you lying to me ziegler? he said crossing his arms, i looked up to him i hate that you know me so well ruiz. i said throwing myself onto the bed again, he sat on the edge of the bed. i know that and i know you hate the fact that i know you so well. he said while putting his hand on my thigh. i jumped at the feeling of his touch, just because you see me so vulnerable doesnt mean you get the chance to try anything. i said looking at him, trust me, i know, plus dont worry i have no intentions coming in between alex and you. marcel said sympathetically. yeah well we arent anything so you dont have to worry about that. i told marcel. really? i thought this trip would make you guys confirm the secret relationship. he said putting it in quotation marks. i chuckled, well this trip really broke the whole spark moment. i said while making an emphasis in spark. dang well we should get your mind off that and enjoy your trip in dallas. marcel said looking at me. how? i asked. kenz, even though youre just 14, you have potential in singing. he said, okay, whats your point? ive only sang a couple times in 8th grade, remember? i said, he laughed  well, i met this great girl who has a recording studio here in dallas and wants to give you a shot. he said smiling, what the hell?! marcel are you for real? i said kind of getting excited. yes, but first we need you to work on a song. he said looking at me, well could you help? i asked him politely. of course, anything for my friend. he said smiling, and i pulled him into a tight hug. we started brainstorming song lyrics and after an hour and a half i had finished writing my first song ever, titled "ignore it." "okay, well are you ready to go present it to isabella?" marcel said excitedly. "i'm a little nervous, but yeah!" i said smiling.

AT THE RECORDING STUDIO
i got introduced to isabella, who would be giving me a chance at singing. "okay so mackenzie, could you please sing the first verse of the song." she asked. i nodded politely and began. "leavin' me on read all night, what a waste of time, said you wouldn't start a fight, but here you go again, talkin' to your friend behind your back, outta line, thought you shut 'em down until you bought it in the end." i sang. before i knew it, i was recording my first song and it was all thanks to marcel. creating my first ever song really did help me take my mind off of things.