White Lies

Shen Wei kept his eyes on the road, even though, the highway here was mostly a straight line, deviding the no-man's-land into two equally dry, rocky and depressing halves. However, sometimes his eyesight still strayed towards the man next to him, as if checking he's still there and alright.

Unaware of the sideways glances, Zhao Yunlan's blind eyes behind the big sunglasses stared blankly to the front, his head nodding to a rhytm of a song only he heard in his mind, since Shen Wei wasn't one to put on a radio.

"Where should I take you? Your home? Your office? If you tell me the address, I can take you there." Not that there would be any need to hurrilly decide where they're heading. There was surely at least 30 minutes of just that one road ahead of them.

Zhao Yunlan raised his eyebrows. "You don't know the address of our headquarters? I guess, you and your brother actually did act independently. So what's he gonna say about you rescueing the princess from his grasp?" He grinned.

Sighing, Shen Wei kept his sight on the road. Again that ridiculous comparison. "You are no princess, Zhao Yunlan. And... you have no proof my brother Ye Zun..."

"Then why did you come? How did you know where I was?" Zhao Yunlan turned to Shen Wei who refused to look back, even while knowing the vampire hunter is blind.

He stayed silent.

"Hmm... okay... Then let's go to YOUR place!" Zhao Yunlan merrily waved his hands, hitting the rear mirror and side window at the same time. "Ouch!"

Shen Wei quickly glanced at him to make sure he's alright, then adjusted the mirror, so he could see back again. "Sit still," he reprimanded him.

"Yes, mother Shen!" Zhao Yunlan teasingly called out and started humming out loud.

Shen Wei sighed softly despite his usual cultivated and proper manner and headed to his home. There was surely no arguing with the vampire hunter.

* * *

Arriving at Shen Wei's house about an hour later, Shen Wei got out of the car and carefully led Zhao Yunlan inside, describing every uneven step for him with utmost precision, while gently holding his right elbow. Inside, he sat the troublesome vampire hunter on the couch and told him not to move an inch.

Of course, the first thing Zhao Yunlan did was get up, hit his shin against the low coffee table and knock over a mug standing on it, spilling its contents all over.

Hearing the worrisome sounds along with a yelp all the way to the kitchen, Shen Wei hurried back immediately, sitting Yunlan back down.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" Zhao Yunlan apologized laughing and then he finally settled down.

Cleaning the place thoroughly, Shen Wei only shook his head. "Please, be careful. This is unknown territory for you."

"Sure, sure," he nodded, obviously not at all taking the plea seriously. "You know... if my squad finds me here, they're probably not going to be happy... But I suppose you already know that."

Shen Wei listened to Zhao Yunlan's provocative words before going to throw away the remains of the fallen cup.

"But I suppose..." Zhao Yunlan continued, leaning back on the couch. "You would have thought of that already. So you're either very confident in yourself... or there is something you want from the organisation." Zhao Yunlan tilted his head a little bit, his blind eyes staring in the direction in which Shen Wei's movement stopped.

"There is... nothing that I want from the organisation." Shen Wei answered finally.

"Is there something you want from me, then?"