8. City Of Resilience

Dusk was fast approaching. The birds were singing their evening sonata as the stars bid them to dream under Nanna's light. Pink and orange set the entire sky ablaze, each hue deepened in noble solemnity, finding unity in the night while the sun slowly disappeared behind the city of Ur. My new home.

The land was different here. The flats were uneven, ever-changing like the stars. It was a land that was shaped by the whims of the rivers, flooding each time they changed their course. It created chaos, the likes of which I had never seen. Layer upon layer of chaotic mud rose into the houses, shaping a city that was washed away more times than the year had days. But the people had stayed, building up their homes no matter how many times they were destroyed. A testament to their resilience and sheer devotion to this land.

Devotion, like Idal's devotion to my father, who, in turn, was devoted to his goddess, Inanna. As I glanced around the ship, the sentiment was visible in everyone I knew, as clear as the stars above us, except within myself. Many held a place in my heart; my parents, brothers, Akkad, and the gods, yet none reigned supreme.

My thoughts halted as our boat drifted to the city's borders, and two priestesses from the temple of Nanna came aboard. "Kituzda and Shula bow before you, oh king of kings." the left woman said, kneeling before father. Her hair had the most peculiar shine, almost as if it was ablaze. Her eyes resembling those of a snake.

"Priestess Kituzda, word of your accomplishments has reached my ears. Your division of the rations after Nanna's flood saved so many lives." Father praised the snake-eyed priestess. A meek smile washed over her sharp features. His praises were a sore conciliation for the priestess who lost her chance to become a high priestess. "My king, you are too kind. It is my sole purpose to serve Nanna, as I know your daughter will serve our god with all the devotion his earthly wife should possess."

"It shall be my sole purpose," I echoed.

Shula, a stout woman with round cheeks, smiled upon me. "Your robes, my lady." Her sway towards the tent, standing at the end of our boat, told me all I needed to know. I was not about to set foot in Ur as the princess of Akkad. With a quick nod, I stepped into the tent, Idal hovering behind me like a shadow.

"Turn around," I ordered, glancing over my shoulder to make sure the archer was facing the tent flap before I proceeded to undress.

The flounced garment that was bestowed upon me was only meant for divinity. My crown carried the horns of Nanna, adorned with flowers of gold and stars of lapis. Never had I seen something so beautiful. With a head bent in sorrow, my mind went back to the Tyrian dress that I had felt unworthy of. That dress paled in comparison to this.

This crown made it feel so final. As soon as I set foot in Ur, I would be a high priestess. I would sing the hymns and lead the ceremonies of the moon. I should be happy, right? Ecstatic even. This was a great honor. This was my promise of freedom. This is what I wanted, wasn't it? Then why were my hands shaking? Why did each breath burn my lungs to the point where it made me nauseous?

"Don't let anyone see you like that." Idal's sudden comment chased my thoughts away.

"I ordered you not to look around!"

He chuckled, his gaze never wavering from the door. "I don't need to look to hear your sighs of despair, princess."

"I'm not in despair," I countered. "I was just thinking."

"What were you thinking about?"

"That's none of your concern," I snapped.

His laughter echoed throughout the tent. It was a bitter laugh, one that seemed to be more mocking than anything. "If you are this gentle with one who is bound to protect you, I can't wait to see how you'll charm the Sumerian priestesses and lords to your side."

I wanted to retort his insult. Make him pay for the way he spoke to me, but Kituzda entered before I could. She took in my appearance with an icy glare, "it is time."

Following her out of the tent, I adapted the prideful stride with which a princess was meant to walk. At the docks, a few lords had gathered to see the royal family disembark the vessel. None bowed, clapped, or even cheered as we passed. A single nod, intended for the priestesses who flanked me on either side, was the only movement I spotted.

Was it a sign?

The crown was swaying dangerously on my head as if it tried to escape me. It took all my balance to keep it on while we walked towards the temple, standing in the center of the city. The temple was the core of the community in every sense of the word. It rose to the gods' realm, casting its shadow over the city below, just like Inanna's temple in Kish.

But the closer we got, the more I realized that Inanna's temple paled in comparison to this. Mud-brick walls surrounded the four-layered ziggurat, each terrace adorned in blue-glazed tiles, giving it the appearance of a giant wave, broad on the base and small at the top. Turning left, we entered the court of Nanna. Kituzda led us through the large courtyard open to the sky that had taken on the hues of midnight by now. A dozen or so doorways surrounded the courtyard, each leading to a private apartment. We were given two tiny chambers, each with only a single bed and small hearth.

"These will be yours for tonight. At dawn, we will proceed with the ordination ceremony of the high priestess." Kituzda said.

The funky smell made my nose wrinkle in disgust. "Is this where you house your high priestess? Such residence is unfit for one who carries the En-title."

"Remember, princess; you don't have the En-title yet. You shall take up residence in the Giparu as soon as you have proven yourself worthy as high priestess and receive your En-title."

"Have you forgotten that Nanna chose me? I have already-" The words died in my throat as soon as Kituzda closed the door behind her, and I realized we were alone with her, blocking my only means of escape.

"I am older than you. I have studied at this temple for years. You may plant your garden here, sow your Akkadian seeds, but you will never taste its fruit." Kituzda whispered in my ear.

Swallowing a lump, I kept my eyes on the woman in front of me. If it was fear she wanted, I would not grant her the satisfaction. "You may be older, but that clearly does not make you wiser. My father is the king here, and my brothers rule his undefeated armies. The gods have brought prosperity to my family, the likes of which were thought to be unobtainable. What did they bring you?"

Opening and closing her mouth, Kituzda resembled a fish caught in the fisherman's net. Sweet silence of victory.

"I thought so," I continued. "One act against me, and I will have my brother strike you down with his sword."

"You Akkadians are all the same. Relying on violence to solve your every conflict."

"Oh? Has violence chosen me as the high priestess? Have we traveled here with an army, staking our claim on this city in blood?" I mocked, feeling more confident with every word.

"The blood of our fallen brothers and sisters has already dried into the soil on which you walk. Our walls have breaches as a reminder of our fallen state." Kituzda hissed. "You may come in peace, princess. But your presence here will never bring peace to Ur."

"We'll see about that." I retorted as Kituzda left my room. As soon as the door closed, my knees buckled, and my whole body shook uncontrollably. Nanna, did you want me to fight like this? Is this snakepit to be my home? Am I even safe here?