Chapter 28

The god of light... What? I widened my eyes in shock. 

"God of light?" Rachelle mumbled. 

So Yves' goal was to revive the god of light? But wasn't he a high priest of god of darkness? And why would that get him killed in his first life? I was getting more and more confused.

Lucian, or the alleged god of light, hugged his head in pain. 

"Lucian!" Rachelle cried. She tried to soothe his pain by hugging him. "What happened? Why are you in so much pain?" Tears began brimming in her eyes.

Lucian screamed in pain while hugging his head. 

"Lucian!" Tears streamed down her face. "What can I do to soothe your pain? How I wish I could bear your pain, Lucian. It breaks my heart to see you like that."

"The god of light is not complete," Yves said, "unless the last piece is returned. Otherwise, he's simply a mortal bearing god memories with no godly power. Especially those memories aren't meant to befall a mortal."

"The last piece?" Rachelle asked. "I have collected every last piece of shard my soul called me to!" 

Again this phrase. Wait... soul? Could it be that the last piece is... Rachelle. 

"Don't you dare, Arden!" Lucian cried out through clenched teeth. He stood forward and shielded Rachelle from Yves. He tried to use his power. Just like how Yves said, his power was nowhere near godly level. 

If Rachelle was the last piece, everything would make sense. If Yves' goal was to revive the god of light all along, he would need to get hold of Rachelle. As by the evident way of Lucian protecting Rachelle with the mention of 'last piece', the last piece might mean taking Rachelle's life. Otherwise, Lucian did not have to be all worked up at the mention of that 'last piece'. Yves died in his first life trying to kill Rachelle. Lucian might not have a god's power but he had a god's memory. He might find a way to defend himself and Rachelle. Adding to the fact that Rachelle seemed to be very blessed by gods. She herself was a genius unmatched by even high priests of other temples. 

"Dare what?" Yves asked. He was back onto his throne. "I have not moved an inch since you guys entered the temple of darkness. I'm just explaining the situation we have on hand now."  

Lucian eyed Yves with uncertainty. 

"Wait, what is the meaning of the last piece?" Rachelle demanded behind the close protect of all her seven knights. 

Yves lips quirked up and said, "It's inside your soul." 

"My soul?" Rachelle asked confusedly. And then her face turned determined, "How can I save Lucian? How can I return this last piece from my soul back to Lucian?"

"No, Rachelle, you don't have to do that!" His hand gently caress Rachelle's face. "I can live without that last piece."

Rachelle, being Rachelle, of course had no none of that sort. 

"No! Don't you see! You're suffering! I have to help you! Do tell me, your Grace, how can I save Lucian?" she clasped her hands and looked at Yves with her teary eyes. 

"It's very simple," Yves' lips quirked into a perfect smile. "All you have to do is to die." He snapped his finger and then immediately Rachelle clasped her heart in pain. Blood began to drip down the corner of her mouth. 

The knights started to attack Yves soon after that. 

"What did you do to Rachelle?" they demanded. 

Lucian immediately tried to heal Rachelle with his power, but no matter what he did, Rachelle coughed out more blood. 

"I am just fulfilling her wish," Yves shrugged as he said, all the while sidestepping all the spells thrown in his way at ease.