Chapter 29

"Lucian, did that girl really mean that much to you? To the point that you have to kill my sole supporter in revenge?" A cold voice boomed in the temple. 

"You won't understand," Lucian cried in anguish. "You didn't understand thousands of years ago, you still don't! Rachelle is my life! Without her, what's the point in becoming god again?" 

Well that's one shocking speech. I did not know if I was to applaud for their love or roll my eyes at such dramatic declaration. 

I realized now, my wound might seem serious, but I wasn't dying as I had expected. The power of a god should be fatal to us mortals, but the wound wasn't even as painful as I had expected. It was not even up to par to the stabbing wound I had in my previous life. That's weird... 

I was still being cradled in Yves' arm. He even had the decency to play with the bracelet on my wrist. Wait... didn't he play with my bracelet awhile back? When we're riding back from town, on the day I bought Rachelle her birthday gift. I glared at him as he returned a knowing smile. Did he place a protective spell on the bracelet? To absorb part of the power of the spell Lucian threw at me? 

A sigh brought me back to reality. "I just don't understand where do your intense love come from! How long have you known each other? A few weeks at best! And then you have to throw everything away? Even your life?" The cold voice sneered in distaste. 

The voice was from a dark hooded figure hovering in the center of the temple, in front of Lucian. 

"Someone as heartless as you will not understand even with a million years of time," Lucian retorted. He then began to attack the hooded man. "Killing off Rachelle must be your order!"

"I am saving you, my dear brother. If you don't return, the other gods plan to replace you! This whole plan is to overthrow you, don't you understand? They merged a piece of you with that girl's soul and recreated Rachelle so as to lure you into their trap! Look what you're about to do if Yves didn't kill Rachelle. You're about to give up your godly power! You're about to die as a mortal!" 

"That's my choice! At least as a mortal, I can spend the rest of my life with Rachelle. Now as the god of light what do I get? Rachelle isn't even here with me!" He continued to fight with his brother, the god of darkness. 

According to the lore, the god of light and the god of darkness were actually twins. That meant the hooded figure facing Lucian must be the god of darkness. 

"When will you grow some brains, brother? You're a god! You have the power of a god! If you want your dear Rachelle so badly, just collect the pieces of her soul floating around you when they're still present! Then you still have some chance of reviving her, but what are you doing? Killing my sole follower, ruining my temple!" He humphed in anger. 

The hooded figure that was the god of darkness raise his hand. A glob began to form in his palm. With a flick of his other hand, a puppet in the shape of Rachelle began to form from the rubble Lucian created in the temple. He forcefully pushed the glob into the marble puppet and then clapped his hand. "See that's how you use the power of a god! Her body might be ruined, but you can create one for her! Only the useless weeps when facing a problem. What a disgrace of a brother. What a disgrace to us gods." 

The hooded figure then walked towards us, abandoning his brother who was weeping with joy as the marble puppet that was Rachelle opened her eyes . The god of darkness' face was still covered by the shadows of the hood. If he was Lucian's twin brother, would the two of them look very alike?

"Don't you let me catch you trying to kill yourself off before you have groomed the next high priest!" he sneered angrily at Yves. "I will not let you go even if you become a ghost!" 

"Care to come any later? Otherwise, you won't even be able to summon my ghost," Yves said as he pulled me up from the floor. That was then I realized my wound had stopped oozing and not an ounce of pain was left. 

"But, my lord," Yves continued in a sing song manner, "it might be best for you leave now. The god of order might appear anytime. Reviving Rachelle, though a spectacular act, was a deed against his book of order." He smirked after finishing the last sentence.  

The god of darkness cleared his throat and then said, "The mortal world is just as stuffy as always." 

"The mortal world is not for powerful gods like you, my lord." 

The god of darkness nodded approvingly and then disappeared into dark mist. 

I eyed the entire exchange with my mouth left agape. Was the god of darkness afraid of the god of order?

"The god of order is a nightmare," Yves said, his usual mask of laziness back on his face. "The god of light is an idiot. The god of darkness is a talkative old man, best send him away as soon as possible."

"Huh?"

"Come on, I'm tired. Let's get some sleep." He then dragged me away while grasping my hand, leaving the rubble, the lovebirds and the third-wheels (Rachelle's knights) behind us. 

---------------------

Author's note

Lots of things happen in this chapter. I promise you Rachelle won't appear again, hahaha, though her legend continues...

P.S. I'm brainstorming title for my new story, a companion to this story, the protagonists are being mentioned here! Guess who are the lucky two ;)

Here are a few titles in mind, which do you think sound better?

-The Villainess who has Failed Overthrowing the Gods

-The Villainess who has been Defeated

-After the Villainess has been defeated

-After the Villainess Failed to Overthrow the Gods