Chapter Eleven: The Mistake

It was barely a week after my decision when Sylvia's relative passed on and the burial place was at Lurende, just a few kilometers from the school I was teaching. It was just a normal day and I didn't plan anything in my mind. So we planned on meeting with Sylvia again and I was to go to wherever she'd be and meet her. This is the saddest chapter of my story so I'd understand if you don't enjoy it. Am actually having a sad face while typing. I would never want someone to be in such a situation in their life; having a divided heart. My conscience kind of gave me insights about today and whatever might happen but I was brave enough to just face the day. Sylvia came and she told me they had arrived. I therefore set out, it was on a weekend I suppose. I went to see her. I reached where the ceremony was being held and I started calling her. She was not picking the call. I called her as many times as I could but then she never picked. I was so irate; I couldn't even imagine her not picking my call. I was there having my own imaginations. I even concluded that she just put her phone on silent deliberately not to meet me and all. There is nothing good I thought of that moment and I turned to walk away. I remembered the promise I made to myself and it just hit me that it had caught up with Sylvia. There and then, I decided to break my ties with her. It was one stupid thing I ever did in my life; cutting off someone who genuinely loved me. Someone who taught me love. The only person who made me feel like I was in paradise just by the choice of words. The only person who could take blames when we fell out. She did a lot of good stuff. Literally the decision to impose my wrath on her was a miscalculation and an amateurish thing to do. But then, I was just a small boy learning how to love. Making choices in life got me at an early stage in life.

I had written down the promise in my small diary and as I revised my diary, I got so emotional and I just took a nap. I was not ready to let go Sylvia but I had to since I was getting too deep with both of them. I liked Violet. I cannot grade them on any scale but my heart was kind of partitioned. Yeah, I know. You can't love two people equally and if you do, that's not true love. True, maybe, but I did love them almost equally. Stop judging me, how many people are you dating now? Not dating, seeing.

Sylvia got the missed calls and she was so ready to accept the mistake but I told her to give me some time. You know the stand a guy pulls when he wants to leave and all? I was doing that and she tried for a long time to get the reason why I turned so emotionless all of a sudden. I have never told her the reason and if she comes across this story, she'll get the answer. As stupid as the reason was, I quit and I never looked back. Not even on the days she made me happy and all. I was so scared of what it might cause but eventually, not so long ago, she got some answers and was 95% healed; she told me that herself. Am sorry. I was a jerk.

(Heey emotional reader, wipe of those tears! You don't have to cry. Everyone has a sad story and I just happen to be the villain in Sylvia's.)

***

Violet was now all alone in my heart and I gave her the most concentrated concentration someone can ever have. Does that make sense? It has to. I was deep into her vibe and she didn't struggle to make me smile. She was the girl from the city you know and she'd tell me about her days and I'd be wowed the whole day. She used to go for computer lessons in town and every other time she'd call just to confirm how I was doing and all. These calls got me smiling sheepishly and if I was alone in the house, I'd end up mixing dirty clothes with the washed ones. There is no rib her call didn't turn in my body. Half of my days were spent thinking about her. The other half, I was asleep. As much as I felt like she liked me after concluding I wasn't dumb and all, I still was in for the love. I had Nokia Usher by that time. Opera mini was clearer here and so I could check out her facebook page and just melt my heart by looking at her pictures. I didn't know about Arimis by then. Oops, that's insensitive, Sorry. Yeah, I'd delete it but then, it's true. We exchanged pictures every other time and she would send me pictures of her in the boutiques for my approval before she buys that top or dress. This was some stretch I didn't expect her to go but she made me her boyfriend and we started planning of the coming days.

I was just a village boy and I had gone to Nairobi at least two times at my brother's place in Kitengela. As much as I had an idea of how complicated Nairobi could be, I still kept listening to her stories about her walks around the city. I was convinced that she knew every bit of the city as she sometimes got home really late after spending time in town. Since we all had done well in the KCSE exams, we chose to go to JKUAT. And after the second revision, she confirmed to me that she was called to do Industrial Biotechnology in JKUAT and I was called to do Quantity Survey in the same institution. I actually chose Quantity Survey from option one to three on the KUCCPs website just to maximize my chance of going to JKUAT to be with her.

Have you ever fantasized about a life with your love? I was there planning of how we will be studying and working at the same time (I read about work study, turned out it's not a Kenyan thing!) I imagined us saving some cash, and immediately after getting those first class honors, we'd both get those well-paying jobs and get married, then we would not be so easy with our kids. They have to work to earn everything. We would have good fast cars and she would be the one to drive. I always saw her smile every other time in my dreams and I was sure it was her; my destiny.

JKUAT was not sending the Admission letters to us. Someone had to come from wherever place to pick it from school. I was to travel all the way from Bungoma, pick the letter and go back and wait for admission come September. We planned with Violet. It was the first day we were meeting after that contest and the second day ever in our life. We were to meet in town and go to Juja together for the letter. I was to travel at night, and all the going to Juja business would be handled during the day.