John's Loop

John Smith woke up in a bed in the clinic. He was panting like he had a bad dream and he was very lucky that he woke up from it. He saw that there was a girl by his side as his eyes adjusted to the tender light that the afternoon sun was pouring gently through the windows.

"Oh good, you're awake, John," she said, standing up. "I was actually worried that you might stay unconscious for another couple of hours."

He stared at her, quite confused as she sounded like she was expecting something from him. He held his head, placing a hand by the right side of his face. "Um... because...?"

She playfully pouted. "Because you promised me a date, silly!" she laughed. Then she stopped as she realised that John was still confused and most probably has no idea what's going on. "John? You there? Oh gods, don't tell me you forgot."

His mind clicked into place when she said that. Browsing through his memories, he remembered that very rushed and awkward-ish promise he made the other day. "Oh yeah! Of course, I didn't forget, Vi! We have a date, about half an hour after sundown in Roumie's. I promised that."

"Good!" Vi then pecked his cheek and started to pick up her stuff. "Well, since I need to prepare for that and now that you're conscious, I suggest that you should do the same."

"Hmm? Oh! Of course, I would, Vi."

She nodded and left the room, waving goodbye.

John hopped out of his bed and checked his effects. His weirdly cloak fashioned cloak, his umbrella and his book. These three things are the one he would never want to loose, aside from Vi, of course. He then looked at out the window and realised how deep of a trouble he was. The sun was beginning to set.

"Curses," he muttered as he hurried out of the orphanage's clinic, his face twisting to make worried expressions. He hasn't bought flowers yet. He hasn't paid for a reserved table yet. And his cloak is not the best to wear on this date! He might need to rent a better one.

Then, just as he was rushing to Roumi's, two huge and muscular men pulled him into an alley. John was surprised and confused on why he was brought here. "Um, pardon but I am on a hurry," he said as he tried to squeeze in between them. "If you please move aside-"

"Are you John Smith?" one of the big men asked.

"Yes, yes I am," John answered, furrowing his eyebrows. "Wait, aren't you Vi's Father's bodyguards? Are you here because Mr Fyredryke is worried that I'd forget our date? Oh don't worry I didn't-"

"No, it is you who shouldn't worry," the other big bodyguard cuts him off, drawing a knife. "Yes, the boss is worried, but in a whole different way."

The first big man held John's arms and behind him. "Mr Jake Fyredryke sends his regards."

The second one then starts to stab him in quick succession, making multiple deep knife wounds in John's body.

* * *

John Smith woke up in a bed in the clinic. He was panting like he had a bad dream and he was very lucky that he woke up from it. He saw that there was a girl by his side as his eyes adjusted to the tender light that the afternoon sun was pouring gently through the windows.

"Oh good, you're awake, John," she said, standing up. "I was actually worried that you might stay unconscious for another couple of hours."

He stared at her, quite confused as she sounded like she was expecting something from him. "Um... because...?"