Chapter 6: At the museum

"Don't you want to be evil like me? Don't you want to be mean? Don't you want to make mischief your daily routine?"

-

-

-

Dewey:

He waited until Louie was asleep then climbed out the window.

He had to be careful not to set off any alarms or he'll be arrested. He can't go back to the isle. Not now, not ever.

He snuck over to the museum as quiet as he could but he wasn't stealthy, his teacher was glomgold after all.

But...one job. That's it. And he could know everything...

"What were they like?"He'd  asked. He worked up so much courage that day to ask him, Dewey always wondered about his parents. Who they were, why they left and if they'd ever come back. His whole life, all he had was Glomgold. And his employee Marlee, she was nice and took good care of him, he wasn't exactly sure what she got in return but she was still the only "parent" he ever knew.

Glomgold looked at him and scoffed, "Who?"

"My parents. My mom and dad, what were they like?"

"Why do you want to know that?"He asked, "Family will only disappoint you. I've told you that before."

"I know,"He says, "I'm just curious."

"Curiosity killed the cat"Marlee said.

"What cat?"

"Go upstairs Dewey, and don't come out until we say so"Marlee demanded harshly.

His whole life Glomgold would say that he saved him from his family...

"He's getting suspicious".

"Well, that's what happens when you take random kids off the streets".

"For the last time, he's not random. It's all part of the plan."

But, since that day Dewey didn't believe him. He vowed to get out of the isle the second he could...

Now he had an opportunity, a chance to change. If he could find out who his parents were (or are.) He could leave Glomgold and start a new and wonderful life.

But if he didn't...

No! He can't think like that. He had to do his best to find himself, he needed to know.

Sneaking into the museum was surprisingly easy, he wondered how things didn't get stolen more often, he was looking  through some of Auraquacks historical events when he heard a voice behind him:  "What are you doing here?"

He slowly turned around, trying to come up with an excuse, "Ok, I know this'll sound crazy but I walk in my sleep and- wait a second...Lena? What are you doing here?"

The girl scowled at him, before she could answer he heard another voice say: "What are you both doing here?"

Louie...

Sigh...

"Ok, ok, let's all calm down"He says, "Louie, what are you doing here?"

"None of your business!"He scolds, "Look- I didn't spend all that effort disabling all the alarms to have you-"

"Is that why it was so easy to get in here?"Webby asked showing up from behind him.

"Oh look, princess perfect is here," Lena scowled, again.

"You disabled the alarms?"Webby asked, ignoring Lena's insult.

"Your welcome"Louie said condescendingly.

"Webby, what are you doing here?"Dewey asked.

"Nothing, definitely not looking for some love potion to get the prince to fall in love with me and earn my mother's affection," She turned herself away from then and twiddled her thumbs.

"Sure"Lena ignored, "What about you blue?"

"Uh...it's complicated, you?"

"Same"She answered.

"So we're all after something"Louie said, annoyingly stating the obvious, "Let's just pretend nothing happened and be on our way."

"Wait a second..."Lena says, "You disables all the alarms that fast?"

"Well..."

"Maybe we can help each other out"Lena suggests, "I need to find a special object of Scrooge's. What are you after?"

"An old document"He answers with a raised eyebrow, what was he hiding?

"And you, blue?"

"I have a special mission."He says, "I was here for my own benefit."

"I'll help!"Webby shouts resulting in all three of them shushing her.

"Yeah, no thanks. I only need Louie,"Lena says, "This isn't a free for all."

"Then Webby and I will tell everyone how you snuck out of your room and we followed you both here"Dewey said.

"Excuse me?"

"Which story sounds more likely?"He asked, "Webby and I, we actually act like we want to be here."

Webby smiled at Him for defending her. Her eyes were purely innocent and kind.

"Ok fine, but this is only a one time thing"She says, "We're not friends"She says specifically looking to Webby this time.

"Well, I'm not helping, I wasn't even  going to help her anyway," Louie says walking away, "I'm out."

" Help us or we turn you in."

He looked conflicted and stubborn, "Fine, tomorrow after school, we'll discuss"He says then storms out.

Dewey wondered what school was like...what was he to expect?