In Nature's Comfort analysis

In Nature's Comfort is illustrating a global crisis before the Covid-19: Global Warming

Conflict type: Society V Nature

Genre: Non-fiction

Speaker: A protester who loves the environment

Overall Poetic Analysis: The poem is quite straight-forward. This is to show that the speaker is young and angelic, but unsure of what sacrifices one has to make to safe the environment. This poem has a fixed rhythm to it( except for the last stanza) with a crisp ending that finishes the poem like a sentence. The first line always starts with a 'Had we not". It is kind of like an "In retrospect" thing, just simpler. This shows that the speaker's mind is straight forward; the speaker just wanted justice to sight him/ her and the environment. The second line always makes use of the word "using" while the third line makes use of rough or human verbs in its past participle form. And lastly, the forth line starts with a 'being'.

Stanza 1: The speaker brings on this over-exaggerating character as he/she describes our actions as an offence that we are making use of while robbing other animals by taking away what they once called essentials, and now called nothing. As such, the speaker describes us as selfish creatures.

Stanza 2: The speaker is wondering how we could just take nature's gifts and use it to create technology that we actually do not need, for example handphones and laptops, etc. Then, he/she describes this action as grabbing. In this sentence, 'grabbing' sounds like a really rough word to use and it is there to create a rather selfish effect of taking away things and treating ourselves as the kings and queens of the universe.

Stanza 3: Those were resilient trees who stood there for over a hundred years. Until humanity. We cut down those trees for our own selfish reasons and then planted more. But could the damage be healed. The speaker does not think so. The speaker thinks of us as terrariums, being able to survive in our own world will taking in sunlight from the outside, yet not replenishing those sunlight. And hence, we are all trapped in the wonders of humanity.

Stanza 4: This stanza mainly focuses on how humans are trying hard to get rich, be the best, stand out, etc. Yet, we were unaware of the damage we done to the world, when we hunt illegally to sell to the black market, etc. Ivory of an elephant is sharp but when it reaches us, it would get blunter and blunter, rounder and rounder. It shows that we are getting less vigilant of the current situation. Only caring about the profits financially.

Stanza 5: This stanza links back to the title of this poem: In Nature's Comfort. Nature's comfort is a privilege that we should appreciate dearly, not a right that we should expect impatiently. The sacred winds of panic shows that nature is not giving us this comfort to its fullest anymore and hence, the panic in the world. This panic is in turn causing harm to us who are leaving in this world, hearing of death in a natural disasters. I guess, its nature's payback.

Stanza 6: This last line is to complete the previous sentences. This was the best case scenario, that we all wanted but did not have. Simply saying, it was to complete this "in retrospect" sentence.