Complicated Goodbye

The train eventually arrived at the final stop, the airport. Caleb woke up Jason and Ali, they all gathered their bags to leave. While making their way up the stairs, towards the airport, Caleb walked next to Maya their hands brushing against each other. Caleb fingers found their ways towards hers. Waking silently with their fingers laced. Her heart became heavy with each step closer to the entrance of the airport.

When they entered the airport. Maya scanned the big screen for her flight.  40 mins till boarding, Gate 8 she read. Maya knew she would have to get herself checked in immediately. As they made their way toward the check in counter, Caleb had said he be back in a few minutes and then disappeared without another word.

Luckily, the line at the check in wasn't so long, a few minutes was all Maya had to wait for her turn. she handed her passport and boarding pass, when she got to the counter. Answering to all the security questions the lady behind the desk asked.

"Have a great flight!" She said with a smile, handing back maya her passport and boarding pass back to her.

"Thank you!" Maya said, while gathering her stuff.
After  walking away from the checkin counter Jason asked

"What's your gate number?"

"Gate 8" maya replied, pointing towards it.

Jason sent Caleb a text letting him know where they would be as The three of them walked towards Maya gate. She checked the tv screen again for her flight.
They would be boarding in 20 minutes. Just as she wonders where Caleb was he arrived with a gift shop bag in hand. He hands her the bag while telling her
"Don't look inside yet, wait till you get on the plane"

Maya turned around to say her goodbyes to ali and Jason. Jason gave her a big bear hug and said.
"You better keep in touch!"

Ali quickly embraces her into a thought hug telling her she better come back for her and Jason's wedding. Which she replied to saying she would never wanna miss it.

The two girls held on for a little longer and once they pulled away Ali had a few tears rolling down her cheeks.

Maya finally turned to Caleb, the goodbye she was dreading. There he stood just like how she saw him at the train station his hand shoved into his jean pockets and his baseball cap on backward and his famous grin. This time it didn't reach his eyes. His brown eyes held a little sadness which he couldn't mask with his smile. They intercom came on and Mayas flight was boarding in a few minutes.

"You should go, don't wanna miss your flight or else you'll be stuck with me for another 24 hours." Caleb joked.

A tear rolled down mia's cheek which she quickly whipped away. she wouldn't mind being stuck with him for another 24 hours. " Are these the kind of memories you wanna make right before you leave?" He questioned, while closing the gap between them two.

Maya tried holding back the tears that were ready to fall, but failed. More tears started to roll down her cheeks. Caleb immediately whipped them away, and pulled her into a hug. Maya wrapped her arms around his neck and Caleb tighten his arms around her waist. After a few moment they let go.

Maya said one last goodbye to her friend as she walks towards her gate. She turned around for one last glance. The three new friend stood there waving at her, she waved back as she got into the line. Once she got through security check, she a familiar voice calling her name. Maya turned around to see Caleb running through the crowed toward her. He pushed pass the passengers mumbling an apology as he rushed  thought. Maya moved out of the line to meet him as he approached  her, caleb embraced her with another hug. Maya dropped her thing as she wrapped her arms around him shoulders. 

"Promise will see each other again" he whispered into her ears.

"Promise." she said, Holding back tears.

Four Security Guards had surrounded them. One of them was shouting at Caleb, and her in German. Caleb finally let go, but before he was hauled away by a 7 foot German security Guard, Caleb places a gentle kiss on her cheeks. A grin forming on his face as the guard dragged him away by the collar of his shirt, whiles still shouting at him in German. Maya stood there for a moment ,and laughed at the scene they caused. People moved passed her to get through while she watched Caleb being dragged away.  Ali and Jason tried to hold in their laugh as Caleb was being lectured by the security. He rised his hands in defence as the guard warned him before walking off. Jason slap his hand on Calebs back, and wrapped his arm around over his shoulder, tugging him out of the airport. Caleb glancing  back at Maya one last time before he was being pulled away by his friends. 

Maya didn't realize the crowed they had attracted. Her cheeks flushed as she looked around at the crowd. She quickly gathered her things, and got through security check. The airport was announcing the last call for boarding for her flight. Her gate was all the way at the end. Maya picked up the pace, she didn't want to run so, she walked extra fast to past the other passengers. she was out of breath by the time she got to her gate.

Luckily, Maya made it. just moments before they closed the gates. She was one of the last ones to board her flight. Everyone was already seated in their designated seats, waiting for her. Maya awkwardly walked down the aisle to her seat, knowing that all eyes were on her. She tucked her stuff into the overhead compartment, and then settled into her window seat. The cabin crew came around to check if everyone was buckled in. Moments later the flight had began. Once the flight was in the air Maya grabbed the bag Caleb had given her at the airport. Inside was a snow glow. Of the castle of Neuschwanstein they couldn't go to. She shook the globe, watching all the little white flakes and sparkles float around. Placing the snow globe on top of her tray table, she took out something that was wrapped in brown paper. Maya carefully opened it A smile appears on her lips as she recognized the item. There was the book she had pulled out off the bookshelf in the coffee shop. She opens the front cover to find a handwritten note. Before reading the note she read the writing on the first page of the book.

We started with a simple hello, but ended with a complicated goodbye.~

She opened the folded note.
something small for you to remember me. 

till we meet again.
Love, Caleb

Maya tried holding back the tears as she read the note, but failed. She put away her gifts and decided to get some  sleep that her body and heart needed. She couldn't stay awake without her heart aching. As Maya got comfortable in her seat She noticed that she was still wearing Caleb's sweater. The strings to her heart tugged as the memories of the past 24 hours flooded her mind.  She pull the hood of the sweater over her head and took a deep breath in, inhaling in Calebs scent. She tucked her legs onto the seat, leaning her head against the window. Maya slowly drifted off to sleep, watching Munich fade away behind the clouds.

*****

Thank you for reading :)