CHAPTER 2

Quietus

Twelve full moons had passed and Lazmet finally vanquished the rebellion in Asvhe. He and his men were settling loose ends before sailing back to Paucusia in three days. Since their battle ended, endless clamors and liquors filled their base camp. Asvhenian whores and courtesans were brought to them for their triumph. There were no dull nights as the strum of instruments accompanied by Asvhenian performances carved the happiness of the soldiers.

Across a long rectangular table in his quarters, Prince Lazmet sits on a chair while scribbling reports of the successful annihilation against Asvhenians.

A soldier went in and bowed beside him. "My liege, the handmaiden of the Queen is here to see you," he said and an old lady entered his lodge.

He put the quill on the ink and looked at the old lady.

"Your Highness," the handmaiden stooped.

The soldier bowed again and took his leave.

Lazmet raised his brows. "What brought thou here?" He asked.

The handmaiden raised her face and looked at him. It was gloomy. "I am here by the behest of the Queen," she began. "She told me to let you know directly," she said. She was about to open up her mouth again but hesitated and inhaled deeply.

Lazmet furrowed his brows. "What is it?" He questioned.

The old lady bowed again. "Prince Taimek," she said and sighed.

"What about my brother?" He asked.

The handmaiden stammered as she once again spoke again the young prince's name.

"What about him?" He reiterated, raising his voice.

She exhaled before speaking. "The crown prince had passed away," she said.

Lazmet's eyes widened. The clamor of the soldiers suddenly faded in his ears. For a moment, he thought his heart had stopped beating. "W-what?" he stuttered.

The handmaiden sniffed and wiped the crystal clear tears that had escaped from her eyes. "He had been ill for about a season and today as the sun appeared in the east, he had already breathed his last," the handmaiden uttered.

Lazmet felt as if his consciousness had escaped him for his feet act on themselves and walked outside his lodge.

The singing and dancing drunken soldiers abruptly halted when they saw the prince standing dumbfounded across them.

The prince, however, shifted his gaze to the stables. He started stepping going there. His steps got faster and faster until he was half running. He went inside the stables and mounted a horse. He ignored the questioning looks of his men and galloped past them.

Lazmet traveled away from the camp to the path going to the docks. As soon as he arrived there, he found a small sailing boat. It was the boat that took people in and out of Paucusia to Asvhe. He had asked the man to bring him to the main province but he failed to recognize him as he was already drunk. No matter what he offered, he refused to say he had to go home. He sighed and pondered.

He scratched his nape and saw the golden bracelet he had earned in Ogra. He unclasped it and gave it to the man. "Take it," he said. "Sell this and thou shall build another boat, mayhap two more boats. Rather, let me take thy boat this night," he offered.

The man took his bracelet and kept it inside his clothes. "Will thou be alright sailing this dark?" he asked.

Lazmet ignored the man's tone treating him at the same level as he. "Do thou have anything I could light in this boat? If there is, thou have nothing to worry about," he said.