CHAPTER 6

Orare

Stars lighted the dark sky like scattered diamonds. It was the promise of life in the darkness, a sense of warmth springing from the cold. The moon was shining along with a group of stars shaped like a lion. It radiated blue light near the bright star believed to be as the lion's heart.

The people were walking to the synagogue. The chatters sounded excited and their faces were all lit with hope as smiles and laughs flashed from it. The blue moon had returned after three seasons. A sacred divination for Ophir was bound to be foretold by the head clairvoyant. Even aristocrats from other provinces were present for the occasion.

As the pew chairs of the synagogue got filled with various people, the mistress entered from the oak passageway. Ten more ladies of black and tan skin colors were with her. They were all wearing their white tunic and golden headdresses. The mistress, however, wore a golden tiara. It was not as gallant as for royalties but enough to show off her power. Her tunic was trimmed with silk and the lacework was weaved with golden thread.

The royal family was sitting up front. The courtiers were seated behind them. Royal palace guards surrounded the synagogue with proximity to the family. Their scabbards were empty as any weapons were prohibited inside excluding the sacred dagger owned by the headmistress.

All the ladies curtsied to the royal family. The headmistress glanced at the King as she bent down her knees and King Emir gave her a nod while the Queen remained passive and just watched them pay their respects.

Prince Lazmet, on the other hand, discreetly gawked at the headmistress. The subtle movement of her eyes toward the King did not escape the Prince's sight.

The clairvoyant together with her ten ladies stepped up the dais, barefoot. The synagogue ladies formed a circle around the undying fire while the headmistress walked to the center just a foot away from the fire. She was facing the people. "The orare shall begin," she announced.

Unlike the ritus, orare was accompanied by the beat of the drums. The musicians were also standing barefoot in the dais but they were only in the corner.

The beat started and the clairvoyants gracefully raised their hands as if they were reaching for the blue moon above them. Their movements were all in sync. Utter silence enveloped the synagogue aside from the drum and the splash of water as the clairvoyants performed the orare.

The moonlight struck directly to the undying fire. The dance had stopped and the ladies knelt. The beating of the drums continued though.

The clairvoyant grabbed a small dagger placed beside the fire and cut her palm. A garnet fluid dripped from her hands to the fire. Its flame grew bigger. She began to turn continuously. It was slow and graceful at first but as the beat of the drums got faster and faster, her motion got faster and faster as well.

Rather than watching the headmistress, Prince Lazmet focused his attention on the blue ray of light from the moon hitting the kindle.

"It is thy turn now. Tell me what I ought to know."

A memory flashed in his mind. It was the night when the porcelain-skinned synagogue lady had abruptly came into his chamber.

Luna sighed. "The King could have ordered its revelation long ago yet he did not."

"My divination will stain not just my name but the royal family as well. Of course, he couldn't. Howbeit, the circumstances have changed. With my brother's demise, he shall do anything to throw me away even at the cost of that stain," Lazmet uttered.

"That, too. Albeit not just that," Luna said.

Lazmet raised his brow and motioned his hand. "Carry on."