FOUR

04 | GAME OF SURVIVAL

     JOHANNA seemed to be right when she had said the first night on the train wasn't the best as Sequoia barely got any sleep

     JOHANNA seemed to be right when she had said the first night on the train wasn't the best as Sequoia barely got any sleep. She kept having nightmares about the games, her family, leaving Cassia, and everything in between. She had gotten up so early in the morning she decided to go sit at the back of the train and watch the beautiful scenery around her pass by in a blur. Panem was beautiful with all it's nature, while the people who lived there suffered within its grounds. Sequoia rubbed the exhaustion from her eyes as she pulled her knees to her chest and looked to the sky as the sun was sitting above the horizon.

"Can't sleep?" A voice sounded behind Sequoia, causing her to turn around quickly in a tense manner before relaxing as she saw it was only Blight.

     "I slept, just not well enough." Sequoia sighed as Blight made his way over and sat down next to her. "How did you feel, when you were on your way to the capitol?" Sequoia spoke out loud though immediately regretted it as she shook her head in embarrassment as she tried to dismiss the comment.

     "No, it's okay," Blight quickly answered with a genuine smile upon his face. "I didn't know what to feel, everything was so new for me there it just didn't feel–"

     "Right," Sequoia finished, as she glanced to Blight's focused gaze on the forest around them. "I can hunt, use axes and knives, mostly weapons District Seven tributes are accustomed to using. I just didn't want to tell you and you Johanna in front of–"

     "It's okay, thank you for telling me." Blight reassuringly touched her shoulder before standing up, "that's the first step in this game of survival, now we face the second."

     "And what might that be?" Sequoia stood up to follow him to the dinning car and once the doors opened, Johanna, Adia Miro, and Arvid were gathering their food and seating themselves at the table.

     "Knowing how to make friends of course." Blight grinned as he gathered a plate of food and sat down at the table, followed by Sequoia. "Now, since we'll be arriving at the Capitol shortly Joanna and I need to inform you on a few things." Blight then looked to Johanna who glanced irritatingly at Adia before calmly looking to the tributes sitting before her.

     "The Capitol is nothing like District Seven, everything about it is different. The people, the smells, the sights–"

     "Not to mention the food." Adia Miro interrupted excitedly before going quiet when she saw the look on Johanna's face.

     "It'll be intimidating at first but just remember why you're there in the first place." Johanna pursed her lips in thought before continuing, "as you know, there'll be twenty two other tributes joining you in the awful celebration at the Capitol today and you need to stay focused, no fighting or taunting or disruption of any kind until the games, understood? There's been quite a bit of those in the past and it did not end well for them in the arena." Adia had scoffed when Johanna mentioned how awful the Capitol was but decided to stay quiet, not wanting to start another fight with Johanna, again.