SIX

06 | GLORY AND GORE

     Sequoia and Arvid had decided to split up after the instructor was done talking, so that they wouldn't attract too much attention to themselves already

     Sequoia and Arvid had decided to split up after the instructor was done talking, so that they wouldn't attract too much attention to themselves already. While Arvid headed for the defense combat training area, Sequoia headed in the opposite direction where the nature survival equipment was placed. As she began setting up a snare, which she had done often when hunting in District Seven, she simply gazed around the room and eyed a few of the tributes, noticing how a few people were beginning to make small talk with one another, before bringing her gaze upwards to where the game makers were all lounging on the upper seating area where they had a good view over the training center.

     "Trying to pick out the people you're already planning to kill?" Someone behind her asked, causing Sequoia to turn around and release her hold on the snare, causing it to snap down with a loud crack. Sequoia sighed as she looked around and noticed how a few people were now looking in her direction before looking back to the girl who was leaning on one of the fake trees behind her. She was wearing an all black outfit as well, though from what Sequoia could see from one of her shoulders was a faint metallic blue color with the number four on it. "The name's Kai." Sequoia then looked up at the girl's face from glancing at her shoulder and first noticed her ocean blue eyes. She had golden tan skin and dark brown hair in a french braid over her shoulder. "So are you gonna tell me your name or am I just going to have to call you girl from seven from here on out?"

     "My name's Sequoia." Kai gave a small smirk at the response and bent down to check out the snare Sequoia was trying to fix. Sequoia wasn't really comfortable already making conversation with other tributes, but remembered how Johanna made it a big deal to at least try to make some friends. "Do you want me to show you how to make one?" Sequoia asked as she looked back up to Kai, who was now squatting on the ground simply watching Sequoia rebuild the trap. She seemed to be a year younger than Sequoia, though she quickly shook the thought of her age out of her head as she knew how it didn't really matter to the Capitol, they just wanted a victor.

     "Well, I came to talk to you about an alliance, though seeing as you're offering your help in making a trap then I'd say the alliance is off to a pretty good start." Kai shrugged as she moved closer towards Sequoia who looked at her questionably, though continued to remake the trap while showing Kai how to do it properly.

     "So, why did you decide to make an alliance with me? It's only the first day and I haven't done anything special besides making a snare." Sequoia asked as she continued to focus her attention on the snare. Kai furrowed her brows slightly, thinking about how she would respond before shrugging nonchalantly.

     "Finnick recommended talking to one of District Seven's tributes since he's kind of a close friend of Johanna's." Kai responded plainly before letting out a sigh and lightly nudging Sequoia in the side, "that and you almost seemed kind of obvious as you are kind of one of the only people in this area. Everyone else went off towards the defensive combat training or weaponry." Sequoia then stopped what she was doing and looked over at Kai before looking around the training center, noticing how she was right, besides her and Kai there was only one other person–who was from ten–in the outdoor survival area of the training center.