SEVEN

07 | THE OTHER SIDE

     THE next two days of training passed by in a blur of combat practice, nature survival training, and conspiring with the other tributes in the alliance about different strategies for different situations in the arena

     THE next two days of training passed by in a blur of combat practice, nature survival training, and conspiring with the other tributes in the alliance about different strategies for different situations in the arena. Though with every day that passed by, Sequoia continued to think about her home back in District Seven and how Cassia was faring without her. The final day soon came around and Sequoia found herself sitting next to Arvid, waiting to be called in for the final evaluation from the game makers.

     "Sequoia Danes, District Seven, please report to the training center for your evaluation." The automated voice announced, causing Sequoia to look to Arvid who gave her a reassuring smile as he watched Sequoia stand.

     "I'll see you on the other side." Arvid nodded once as Sequoia walked by him with a faint smile on her face.

     "See you on the other side." Sequoia repeated back before making her way to the double doors which opened to reveal the empty training room, aside from the game makers in the overhead booth. Some watched as she made her way to the center of the training room and stood still as she waited for their attention to be on her. "Um, Sequoia Danes, District Seven." Sequoia announced, searching for the confidence in her voice as she spoke up to the small crowd before her. Seneca Crane turned to face her from a conversation he was having and nodded once in confirmation that he was watching her.

     Sequoia sighed quietly and looked to the table of various sized knives and axes and wheeled it to where the array of target dummies were spread out before her. She then looked to the game makers before looking back to the targets in thought. Sequoia thought about how many tributes before her, who had stood in the same place she was standing in, had been forgotten after their games. She then thought about the victors and how some of them had done something as simple as throwing knives at the targets too. It made her slightly angry at how if she died in that arena, she would simply be known as the girl who knew how to use axes and knives, though she wanted to be remembered for more than that. She wanted to make a mark in the capitol, a mark so evident that it burned into the generations after her. Therefore, she removed her jacket with a focused intake of breath before folding it tightly and wrapping it around her face so that she couldn't see the targets ahead of her.

     The few murmurs and gasps from the game makers made a satisfied grin appear on Sequoia's face as she reached out to the table next to her and grabbed four knives and placed two in each hand to start. With a calm inhale and exhale of breath, Sequoia began throwing the knives at the targets out before her with such agility and skill. She then reached to the table for the two bigger knives before taking a step forward and throwing both at the same target simultaneously. Then, as she took a step back to grab the two axes on the table, she then turned to face forwards before throwing both axes in the air and catching them swiftly in each hand before swinging around and throwing the axes towards two different targets before finally standing still.