Chapter 02

"Welcome to Love or Nothing!" a woman's voice cheered.

Caught off guard, I squealed and bounced forward into Manny's chest. He grabbed me, and together we turned our heads to look at whoever spoke.

"Hello!" A woman approached us. Dressed in black and hot pink, her hair was purple, cut in a bob just under her ears. She had eyes that matched, dangerously violet. Her unnaturally wide smile didn't help, either.

At the same time, both Manny and I let out a quiet "ugh," because her color scheme was just off.

Beta notes, stop with the loud colors.

"Welcome to Love or Nothing." She bowed. "I am Anna One and I will be your guide."

"A guide?" Moving away from Manny, I nervously wiped my hands against my pajama pants. "Are you here for me or Manny?"

Anna One straightened, her hands at her side. She looked from me to Manny, then me again. "I'm sorry, I only see one identifying code present," she said with a smile. "Every player that enters the game will be provided a guide. We help you through quests, lead you in the correct directions. While you play, we acquire your data to send back and have it properly processed for social interactions."

Manny laughed. He slid his hand over his face before running his fingers forward through his thick curly hair. "Why is she so robotic?" he muttered, looking at me with a smirk. "You told me this was a fantasy game."

"It is." I looked back at Anna One. "Isn't it?"

"Oh, yes." Again, she shot us another weird smile. "Love or Nothing is a world filled with magic and hope, love and energy. In our world, we aspire to unite those with magical properties granted by the Witches of Oh and the Lords of Erm. We wish to bring light to the planet."

And there's the fantasy part.

"Okay, great." I smiled at her. Then I glanced back at Manny. "You're here with my invite code. So, I guess, according to the game, we're one player. It's in the beta stages. They'll probably fix that later or something."

"I guess." Manny shrugged, standing next to me. "Not like I play this shit on the regular, anyway."

"True," I laughed, crossing my arms in front of my chest. My fingers played with the folds of my pajama top. "Now, Anna One, I do have a question."

"Of course." Our NPC smiled, her pink hair swaying in the gentle wind.

"Why was it that Manny had a costume selection, but I didn't?" As Anna One looked at me. I shrugged. "I mean, I know it's not mandatory, but like," I pulled at my fluffy, pajama bottoms, "I'm not game ready."

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Anna One covered her mouth. "It must've been an error! Everyone is allowed to choose their role!"

"Oh, that's what I did?" Manny rubbed his chin, curiously looking at our guide. "I didn't just pick from a closet or something?"

"Oh, no." With a small flick of her wrist, a menu appeared in front of both of us. It was simple like most games. My gamer tag was displayed at the top, next to my current level, and a variety of starter items I didn't know I had. There were weapons, armor, and clothes. The last part was what I needed.

"When you enter our world, you choose your role. Doing so will provide a selection of clothes. Your paired player here," Anna One looked at Manny, "has decided upon the Thief role."

Manny let out a long, loud laugh. "Haaa, shit." He tugged at the material around his hood. Rubbing it between his fingers, he smirked, then looked back at Anna One with a cocked brow. "What's a thief do?"