Chapter 06

Lord8.

There was nothing heavenly or lordly when I looked into the eyes of the player, I mentally declared my enemy. He stood there with his hands in the pockets of his thief gear, with his golden eyes staring at me like a puppy who'd done everything wrong. Even his steps were slow as he walked toward me. Heavy, as though it weighed him down with regret.

I won't believe it. I crossed my arms and shook my head. I don't even know him.

"Is this a mistake?" I glanced back at Anna One. "This is a mistake, right?"

She shook her head. "We have made no mistake," she said. "Data is matched based on interactions—"

"And that's bullshit," I grumbled, looking back at him.

"—As well as the initial answers granted upon your entrance survey."

I paused. My eyes widened. What?

"When both files are placed together, data-links are inevitable and accurate." I heard the smile on Anna One's face as she spoke. "The two of you are partners."

Lord8 lifted his head, looked at the sky and took in a deep breath.

"Oh, so is this the motherfucker who ruined your night?" Manny stepped in front of me, pushing me behind his back with one hand. "This the dude that made you cry?"

I bit my lip, quickly shaking my head. My hands gripped his arms, nails deep into his skin. Stop, don't, please. You weren't supposed to see that last night.

Lord8's head dropped, eyes wide. "You cried?" His brow pushed together.

"Yeah." Manny took a step forward and suddenly towered over the guy. A few inches made a difference. "Do you know how hard that was to—"

"Don't." I grabbed Manny's arm and tugged him back. "It's okay."

"It isn't." Manny looked back at me. "Chari, it isn't. This game is supposed to make y'all happy and shit, and he—"

"He's right." Lord8 moved around my cousin, hands still in his pockets. Slowly, he shook his head. "What I did last night was wrong."

Both Manny and I looked at Lord8 as he sighed and dropped his head. I wasn't sure what went through Manny's mind, but I couldn't believe the guy would apologize so fast. His behavior the day before just seemed so... natural, as if he always played like that, in games and in real life.

But the look on his face, the apology in his eyes, that was real, too.

My hands slid away from Manny's arm. "Then you'd understand why I think us being paired together is wrong." I faced Lord8. "What you did was..."

"Selfish, yeah I know." He took a step closer, but Manny came between us. Again. He looked up at my cousin before looking back at me. "I meant it yesterday when I said I wasn't good at people-ling. La gente, well... people trouble me, I guess." He shrugged, lowering his head so I looked deeper into his eyes. I wasn't sure if it was intentional, but I could.

I see stars.

"So, what are you saying?" Manny crossed his arms, but I could tell by his body language it took everything in his power not to swing on the guy in front of him.

"I'm saying... I was wrong." He lifted his head. "And I'm sorry."

|||

I didn't outright say I forgave Lord8, but with the way Anna One put it, I had no choice but to play with him. It was a hard pill to swallow.