Chapter 13

Tall walls and bright ceilings welcomed me as I stepped inside Nhyx's manor. High, cheery musical tunes complimented the pale golds and flowers of the party. The NPCs matched, too. Their pastel tones were softer; bright and peaceful from the top of their head down to every strand of fabric in their clothes. When they turned and looked at each other, their smiles were just as beautiful.

I stood at the door but couldn't step forward. I was mesmerized. The environment, the colors, the NPCs; who could be afraid of something so pretty?

"Excuse me, miss." An NPC approached me. He was my height, with wild, curly hair on his head. His eyes weren't as bright as the others; a normal shade of brown. Still, when I looked into them, I saw flecks of gold in them, like stars. For a second, it reminded me of someone.

I gulped.

Luis, why am I seeing you everywhere?

"Would you care for a drink?" the NPC asked me. He carried a tray with him, topped with many flute glasses, filled to the brim. As I observed the selection, he smiled. "Master Nhyx wishes every attendee to have their nourishments."

I lifted my brows. Oh, did he?

Reluctantly, I reached for the glass on the far right. "I guess if he wants us all to drink, who am I to say no?"

The NPC nodded and, without another word, disappeared into the crowd of people.

I scanned the party. There wasn't another beta player; not one. I guess quests weren't co-mingled after level twelve. Which was fine. I just thought I'd see one or two. Or Manny. Anyone.

Old habits. Arrive at a party and look for people I know.

I was safe here. There were only NPCs. No one to judge me, to bring up things that had happened in the past. I felt new here. Free.

Looking down at my dress, I thought back to Luis. The look on his face. In his eyes. "By the way, you look beautiful tonight." I felt heat cover my cheeks. And I giggled.

He's such a jerk. Biting my lip, I looked back at the crowd. But that jerk said the right thing at the right time.

With one hand holding my drink, the other reached and grabbed the bottom of my dress. I took a deep breath and stepped forward. Into the crowd. Into the party. Laughter and conversation filled my ears.

And him. "Message to Chari. Hello, hello," Luis said, his voice echoing in my head.

I froze for a moment. I wondered if NPCs could hear him.

"I'm sending you map data, okay?" he said. He sounded a lot calmer than I was. "Maybe this can help you find Nhyx."

Quickly, and with the magic of Love or Nothing, the information he'd gained from his end of the quest combined with my map. I glanced at the new markers appearing for me. Rooms from the far end of the manor were visible. Kitchens, bathrooms, stables, and storage.

How long have I been in this manor without moving? Jeez.

"You, um, you got a lot of map done," I replied to his message.

He just chuckled. "Benefits of working in the back," he said. "They've got us going everywhere for this party."

Ah, well if he can go everywhere, so can I.

"Oh, yeah?" I moved through the crowd. Weaving between the dancers and flirters, I made my way towards the middle of the room. A large set of stairs separated the party, but no one ventured up it towards the second floor. Everyone remained below with the music.