Chapter 19

June 21st, 2031

Another week passed. Days filled with distractions; moments described by Love or Nothing. It was easy to flow with the data, with the nightly streams, when I did it with Luis by my side. He helped me focus; we helped each other.

In the process, Bio-Lab got their beta information.

With just another week to go, the game was near completion. Based on the emails the company sent daily, the pressure was on the beta testers to send feedback. For the first time, I wasn't scared to share my notes at one of our meetings.

Now, my notes hadn't changed; still properly color-coordinated and organized. I purposely connected my tablet to their monitor and displayed them for the room to see.

While Judith's partners seemed interested in thoughts about the game's innovation, Judith looked as if she had questions. She eyed me the entire time, waiting for the chance to ask them. After reading the last line in my notes, I thought it was best to give her the opportunity... because I had my own to ask.

"So, as it's been three weeks now, overall... do you think the game has benefitted you as a person?" Judith leaned her chin on top of her hands just like she'd done before. "Do you feel different?"

Good question. I did feel different, but I wasn't sure if it was the game itself that did it. Sure, when I first logged in, I was scared and didn't want to show my face; Manny was my support. Now, after playing every night for three weeks, I felt different. But the game had nothing to do with that.

Luis did.

Clearing my throat, I smiled and bit the insides of my cheek. "I am different." After, I noted my tablet, "But I think the difference is more of a player interaction, not the game itself."

"Right." Judith smiled. "Our data-links are proving affective."

The data-link process was the only reason why Luis and I had played together. It stripped away our shields and forced us to meet. But I wasn't sure how to say that. So, I bit my tongue.

Judith leaned back in her seat. Strands of blond hair fell in front of her face and with one hand, she tucked them behind her ear. "In the terms and conditions you signed, line 52a, it describes the data-link process and how the data would be dispersed and shared."

"Yes, I read that." Not at first, but I read it eventually.

"Right." Judith nodded. "Love or Nothing provided the opportunity to get players within those interactions. All through gameplay, sure, but the entry survey is a vital piece."

I pursed my lips. She had a point. I couldn't argue that. But after playing this long, I had some questions. It wasn't about the gameplay, the characters or story. I needed to know the effects on the mind.

Pulling the chair out in front of me, I sat and placed my tablet on my lap. "Since we're asking questions, am I allowed to ask some of my own?"

Judith raised her brows. "Sure."

I smiled. "I've noticed the number of players logging into Love or Nothing isn't the same. Familiar gamer tags haven't returned in over a week." Like the guy who was huddled next to the town's entrance day one. He feared everything, his surroundings, and I remember feeling so bad for him. I swear I hadn't seen him since.

"That was expected." Judith nodded and pushed more hair behind her ear. "This type of virtual reality is new, not thoroughly tested. The strain it could have on the human mind and body is... different." She shot me a forced smile. "But the number of beta-testers reporting good data and feedback only proves what we have here is just fine. We'll simply need to put a disclaimer at the start of the game to give new players a health warning."