Part 14; Cuckoo in the nest

Thomas made love to Ruth down by the river hidden amongst the rushes but within earshot of the womenfolk washing their laundry. The risk of discovery heightened the excitement. Now they had exhausted themselves- Thomas could not remember existing without her such was his intoxication.Ruth laid back as he tickled her nose with a daisy-  he loved her  freckles that dusted the top of her cheeks and her accent . His French was limited but he was keen to learn from her at every turn..snail, spider; to her astonishment he knew the words for yew  and ash trees-but that was easily explained- for he was an archer and not just any archer, a longbowman. The longbow he explained could fire further and harder than anything the enemy had devised and yew and ash provided bow and arrow. These were materials every archer needed to find when they were fighting long campaigns far from home.

Ruth's mood became agitated as Thomas talked about the virtues of the bow and arrow. It was as if she now had a shadow over her face.He tried to catch her hand for an embrace but she pulled away as if his touch was poison.

Ruth was gone before he could tie his belt. A cooling breeze rustled the rushes. It was almost supper time and Thomas had not finished his chores. He stretched and yawned and went after Ruth along the riverbank toward the hamlet. 

His mother Matilda was stirring the pot over the fire. She dismissed his touch and he knew that his behaviour with Ruth was the reason. People in the hamlet had nothing of cheer since the war and here was Thomas, returned from fighting the French and cavorting with a French woman who had suddenly arrived with the Spring like a cuckoo in their own nest. Who was she? Indeed the blacksmith had heard rumours during his travels that a witch with long hair and captivating beauty was abroad and preying on souls. Tongues were already busy in the sleepy hamlet-and Ruth was a suitable target. After all, she was a foreigner..

Matilda served  supper as the robin sang at sunset.Ruth was absent. Matilda ate in silence and Thomas was aware he would soon have to face down the villagers and defend his new love- the poison that was contained in the word witch was not to be ignored. As Matilda took his empty platter Thomas went to the door. The evening star was rising above the inky darkness of the forest.

Ruth was nowhere to be seen. Had she fled? Now his mind even contemplated the rumours-what if she was an witch and had put his mother and he under her spell? Thomas pulled out his bow,

"Now sweet Angel, my saviour of many battles, what say you? " he asked . His mother started to sob.

Outside the darkness flowed in from under the trees and consumed the tiny thatched houses and  bats filled the gloaming above the clearing- now the creatures of the night were abroad and all God fearing people were locked inside by their hearth fires. One doorway remained open and glowed yellow; Thomas pulled up the milking stool and strung Angel. He would now wait for Ruth to return even until dawn's glimmer. If she was a witch going about her dark business then he would find out- and Angel would defend his soul and that of his mother Matilda.