Part 19; An Ally for Thomas

The morning was hot and a fog lay waist deep across the river-the sun rose in pink and gold beams.

Thomas had a heavy head- Esmeralda had awoken early and was already at her chores in the yard. Her father called him out for breakfast-a good meal it was too- cold foul and fresh bread. Thomas took to Esmeralda's father because he reminded him of the men who had fought alongside him at Agincourt and the battles before and though he did not resemble his own father, there was comfort in his manners that made Thomas feel like he was with family.

So it was that instead of leaving early, Thomas accepted the offer of supper- but he would have to help catch it.

The fish were not large but  the wicker traps provided a hearty meal. As the sun set the promise of Esmeralda's warm scent and soft body put Thomas at ease-this made him forget the strange girl who had lay with him in his own hamlet. Where she was he neither knew or now cared quite so intently- but he did worry about the whereabouts of his sister. Thomas asked Esmeralda and her father if they had seen travellers pass on the road west. They recalled a party of a dozen or so- rough men, well provisioned and armed -a covered wagon in tow.

Then Esmeralda mentioned a lone woman who road past some time later as she washed clothing. Esmeralda had wished her good day- but the girl had not replied.

Thomas immediately  knew this was Anais from Esmeralda's description, though he did not know her by this name yet himself. It was Esmeralda's father who also showed insight of his own-he could read Thomas was hiding something. Thomas felt he could trust this family and recounted the death of his father and brother in battle and his flight from London from the inn. He felt his sister was in trouble , probably because of her boyfriend.He was right; for upon Thomas' description of Geraint he could see the look on Esmeralda's face and the look she avoided from her father.Clearly Geraint had stopped here too..

"He stopped here once-on his way to London;full of pride and wanting food and shelter for a string of horses and cattle pasture" said the father,

"I could tell he was a thief-he had no concern for his animals nor a drover's instinct"

Thomas now realised why Geraint always had money yet held no title nor land. He now realised his sister had fallen in with thieves and rustlers.

"I believe they raid the Marches of Wales" added the father

"And come back along the Ridgeway roads, then along the river hereabouts for pasture " added Esmeralda,

"Tis but one day's ride before market in London".

Thomas thanked them for their kindness and pledged to return-for he announced his plan was to go in pursuit of Geraint and thus find his sister-and pray that the fate of Old Tom back at the inn was the only death he would discover.

That night he held Esmeralda and made love but did not lose himself swimming in the warm pools of lustful distraction as he had done before.. Thomas was preparing his mind for battle to come-and what of Anais and her part in things which he only suspected. Yet he had no inkling of how her hands had already been dipped in so much blood already.He would soon find out as their paths crossed westwards.