5. So this is war... [John]

"Move faster bastards, Hitler's troops won't wait for us. We've worked harder than them, so we can't now afford to have time as our enemy." Were the first words I heard the morning real war began. It was captain Kava, who clearly knew we were almost doomed, since it was said Germans had the most advanced weaponry of our time. I dressed up as fast as I could, and went to breakfast with my comrades of war.

- Are you ready? - said Daniel, trying to be positive... minutes passed and neither Adrian nor me answered. 

- Have you ever been to war? - asked curious Adrian, who was clearly nervous.

- No - I answered pretty serious

- Of course - exclaimed Daniel... the rest of the breakfast happened in silence, as everyone was submerged in their own thoughts. After Daniel finished breakfast, he left.

- What about you? - I asked Adrian, trying to break the silence that became more uneasy at each second that passed by. 

- I haven't gone to war either - answered Adrian, as we went toward the ammunition tent to take our equipment.

We could hear the German troops get closer. I could feel the fear to death that we all have inside, even though everyone tried to hide it 6ft beneath the ground.

- Let's stick together the whole time. I promise I won't let you die in here, and I hope you don't let me down either. - I said to Adrian as we walked to our positions.

All of a sudden, We listened to gunshots coming from one of our sides. I turned to look over everyone who stayed down. I then heard a hard scream that was hard suffocated. It was Daniel, he had been killed, and Adrian was by his side, gunshots could reach them there. 

- Move Adrian - I shouted, but he just stood in there. I felt impotent. I was covered by the fort, but they weren't. - Get out of there bitch you're going to get killed - I screamed, as I shot two German soldiers on the other side. When I turned again, I saw Adrian slumped with his leg knee totally destroyed by a gunshot. I went to move Adrian to the next fort, since he was closer to it.

Once we got to the Polish side of the fort, we found everyone had already moved forward... Everyone, but captain Kava. He was... he was crying...

- What's happening captain? - I asked wondering.

- We're death. - He said frustrated - Our men can't get farther than 30 ft. without getting killed, the closest camp has been totally destroyed, and no survivors were reported. They outnumber us 4 times. There's no way out 

- No, no. This isn't possible we'll find a way out - I commanded as I remembered the promise I had made to Jane of coming back.

- Look Around you, everyone's dying. Look at him - Pointed captain Kava at Adrian - He won't last the night, neither you, nor me.

- I know what to do, but this will take courage to live your men behind and let you country down.