i. the world is a cruel place

"tell me, did you really love me like you told me?"

‧₊˚‧₊˚.

you couldn't believe it.

after all the power and glory you relished in what was your status as an 'a' class student, you had failed all of your exams, even your best subjects! starting next term you'll be moving into the end class.

the end class. the lowest of them all. it was tradition for the higher classes to make a mockery out of anyone who demoted to class e. but unlike them, you actually had empathy and recognised this was wrong, and realised you would inevitably ended up there.

despite the endless help from nagisa, you nonetheless ranked last out of every person in the entire school, even people from class e ranked higher than you.

you had the closest friends you have ever made in class e and genuinely bonded with them. unlike the people in the higher classes, who were so full of themselves that they were dry as bone to you, only ever talking about the mistakes that were the e-class students or school. everything to them was just school, school, school and it seemed as if they didn't have a life outside of kunugigaoka.

all did this except one boy in your class, but you hadn't seen him for a while due to him being suspended on violent behaviours. he was an idiot, but he was a smart idiot. an idiot you considered a good friend.

you found yourself laying on your bed, staring at the ceiling, feeling nothing but emptiness and despair. a wave of irrational thoughts filled your brain with its screams of horror, eventually allowing it to invade your nonexistent peace.

you were starting to feel heavy weights being dropped onto your eyelids. just as you were about to close your eyes ready to escape the reality of today, a sudden deafening ring came from your phone, making you shoot up with annoyance and eagerness to put a stop to it. you see the person wrecking your ears was gakushu asano.

some boyfriend he was to have not spoken to you all day.

there was no: 'how are you?' , 'is there anything i can do?' not even a, 'better luck next time!' you just needed something, any form of validation from him to give you the slightest bit of reassurance that he still cared about you.

you were dreading this from the second you found out of your demotion, you knew what was going to happen which didn't help how awful your day was. gazing pathetically at the picture you had set for his contact name, it was from when the two of you went on a festival date together last summer. he was wearing a royal purple yukata, which you specifically picked out for gakushu as it matched his eyes, you remember the triumph you felt when you took a picture at the perfect moment as he had the biggest smile plastered on his face. that sense of vulnerability from him will be the first and last time you'll see him do that around you ever again. as the ringtone was on loop for the third time, you finally lifted the phone up from the bedside and clicked the answer button.